Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took a week off of work to go explore some U.P. streams, 2 days with my dad and 3 days alone.

found a great spot for a campsite, but once i started clearing the brush I was introduced to the neighbors -a colony of yellow jackets. One of them got me right on the eyebrow

so i opted for this site instead, 20 feet from a beautiful trout stream

first trout of the trip

caught this monster the first day, roughly 16 inches. My biggest rainbow ever and one helluva fighter. This fish made my trip.

nice little waterfall I came across

this guy had some awesome yellow coloration going on

brookie

bear scat found less than 100 yards from my camp...

fryin' up some taters

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This little salamander visited me on my last night out, I saw him wriggling by in the fire light and every time i'd hit him with the flashlight he froze.

"white man make big fire, stand far away and get cold. Indian make small fire, sit close and stay warm"

"Trappers Cabin", me and my dad stumbled across this place accidentally while out exploring and inside I found where we carved our names in the wood 10 years prior on a snowmobile trip. The concept of this place is so great, but it was obvious that many people mistreated it. someone even tore up one of the logbooks...

Also during my trip I took the advice of many of you and bought and read "trout Madness" by Robert Traver. This book definitely got me fired up to go out and fish every morning and Im convinced that the story about the grumpy old man on the Escanaba river was either my Grampa or my great Grampa Johnson. They both fly fished that river religiously and were as crotchety as they come, bless their hearts :)

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Very cool pics!! thanks for sharing!

Headed up this week...cant wait! Been 4 years since Ive been up there...just

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Great report! Congrats on your fish! There is nothing like getting out there and getting away from it all and when we can't it's a treat to see reports like this!:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice fish Nick! Thanks for the pictures and the report. A couple months from now when we're neck deep in snow, we'll all be hungrily going over these fishing reports/pics and counting the days till we can be back out there (at least without a shanty!). :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hike into the Trappers cabin every year. Used to be able to drive in before the %#@* gate went up. Still a very special spot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that it is, i was reading one of the log entries about how some fella came and installed a brand new window in the place and I looked up and sure enough, a brand new very nice window. Really put a smile on my face to think that someone took the time to come out and do a big job like that for a place that wasn't even theirs. Hopefully someday I can do something like that...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts