Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 new tires for my camper in '06. I use it a few times a year, mostly in the fall. It sat in the yard immobile since last Nov. until a couple weeks ago. In taking the chocks out from the wheels I noticed those fine cracks in the sidewalls you see on older tires. I'm not sure how worried they ought to make me? Any advice?

·
Registered
157 Posts
sounds like you are concerned...so I would go to either a service station , or where you may take your camper for service ...someplace you feel would give you an honest answer and not just want to sell you new tires....
I have found thru experience that things we only use everyonce and awhile tend to wear out faster thru lack of use than if we used them on a regular basis...
my 0.02 cents worth

Moss

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
If it were me, I would replace the tires. I threw the dice last year, and rolled snake eyes. I thought my 4 year old trailer tires looked OK, but 4 out of 5 blew out on the same trip.

Trailer tires, in my experience and reading, are not built to the same quality standards as are light truck and passenger car tires. Add to the fact they are not used often, and you end up replacing them far more frequently than you would your car/truck tires.

4 years and 15,000 miles is my unofficial guide to trailer tire life. Exceed either of these, and you should replace them, even if they look OK to the eye. If you have visible cracks, replace them, no matter the age or mileage.

·
Registered
681 Posts
from my past exp. with my trailers i have a system i do now. always keep my tires covered and sitting on wood. before i cover them i soak them with armour all(treads,outside face, inside face) 100% coverage. you can use baby oil which is cheap also. the oils help condition and protect the rubber from the elements. i havnt had a tire weather check/ dry rot in many years with this process/procedure. keep the sun off them and put a thick coat of protecter oil and the elements/air cant touch them.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I went to Bell Tire today to have aluminum wheels put on my 05 TT. It had the painted steel wheels. The guy working on it pointed out 2 things.

1 - Painted steel will rust at the tire bead resulting in lost air.

2 - My from the factory 15 in. 65 psi had low pressure valve stems which will also lose air.

Low tire pressure on something that sits will result in sidewall cracks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts