Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gun blind has windows all the way around the perimeter. If I don't cover the windows behind me I get silhouetted and deer spot me very easy. Roller shades work well but they completely block off my view in that direction. Has anyone tried see through camo mesh ?
Does it work good?
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've tried everything burlap, die cut, screens, mesh critters love to eat it. The best I came up with
1) Home depot sells window tinting (a little expensive) you can apply to the interior of the windows.
2) Landscaping fabric(cheap), the brand I got I think was weed blocker it's like a screen you can see out ok stands up to the weather and the critters don't eat it. You are just about invisible inside. I've had it on my blind for about 4 years now and still holding up.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I second the landscape fabric. This is the first year we have used it, but I got the idea from seeing a friends box blind.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You could try window tinting film. It is medium grayish color. Comes in a roll, cut pieces to fit window on the inside. Remove static cling backing. Then just place on window, and press on. It holds itself in place with static cling. No adhesives,or sticky backing. You can take down and reapply as many times as you may need to.
Check it out. I think we got ours from either lowes or home depot.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I bought a couple packs of this stuff http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/54x12-camo-mesh-netting?a=450139
It is not shoot-thru but you can see through it. Only problem is if it is sunny it is harder to see through.
I found some actual shoot-thru camo mesh on ebay and used it on my box blind windows.
I saw some POI disruption shooting through it so I just cut ragged openings in it for shooting and viewing. It constantly moves in the wind like leaves but the openings stay usable.
All of mine are painted dark green inside to eliminate backlighting. Also put some duck blind net on the legs. Plexiglass windows slide down, light shutters open in.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I am currently trying out just plain ole burlap. Threaded on a stiff piece of wire and it's redneck curtains in my box blind. I can see through it pretty good. Although I don't really expect it to last more than one season. It's what I had lying around.

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
My gun blind has windows all the way around the perimeter. If I don't cover the windows behind me I get silhouetted and deer spot me very easy. Roller shades work well but they completely block off my view in that direction. Has anyone tried see through camo mesh ?
Does it work good?
Thanks
Yep - I learned that lesson the hard way when I built my first box blind many years ago - so I don't build them like that any more. Here are a couple of pics of the blind I built for my wife last year (she did the painting). I enclose most of the back and the rear portion of the sides. I have sliding plexiglas windows and those to the rear I apply automotive window tint which works very well. In this case, the morning sun was a problem also so I also applied window tint to the 2 rear sections of the slider. It is harder to see out during low light conditions, such as the 30 minutes before sunrise and the 30 minutes after sunset but you can always slide them open a little during those times. At all other times you can see out very well but it is very difficult to see in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
X 2 on the window tinting I tinted all of my box blinds about five years ago you literally cannot see me inside them 10 ft feet away

·
Premium Member
10,005 Posts
Have a few box blinds and some elevated. Painting the inside black really helps also. Imo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts