Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where to post this. Needed to vent.
Some low life SOB stole one of my cameras this week. Checked it last Sunday, this was the one on the deer carcass. Went up today and it was gone. They cut the d#m tree down. This cam was not out in the open. It was on the edge of a tag alder swamp in some of the thickest crap that you want to crawl thru. My other 2 cams that I had out were not touched. One was out on the edge of a food plot in plain veiw. My land is posted with no trespassing without permission,[I would give them permission if they asked] and I didn't give any one permission to be on it.My land will be posted up tight now. The only thing I can figure is that some one with dog was on property and the dog found the scent and led the scumbag to the camera and got his picture taken so they cut the tree down and took camera so they couldn't be identified or some one was looking for sheds from the big buck that is known to frequent my land. I pulled all of my cameras for now. This sucks can't even enjoy your own property that I work very hard for because of some stupid low life. If I ever catch this person it is not going to be pretty. Well I vented enough. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your cam. I just don't understand people sometimes. I have not had this happen yet but can only imagine what it feels like. Don't worry eventually his time will come and hopefully it will be a lot worse than a cam.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Man thats a drag!
I got mine locked with 1/2 inch steel cable and angle iron. I'm sure someone could still steel it but they'd have to come prepared. I also etched my name all over it. Inside and out, and even in a couple hidden spots.
For the record I just had my first trespasser pic this past week. Must be the warmer weather has em coming out.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erik there isn't much you can do when they cut the tree down. I agree on the warmer weather. Not much going on and not any bugs out so they wander around where they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yeah it seems like that person not only stole your camera they did property damage as well.
What type of tree was it? I'd keep track of all the info in case you ever catch the person responsible.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of tree was it? I'd keep track of all the info in case you ever catch the person responsible.
I am not sure what kind of tree it was, it was about 6" to 7" diameter. Guess I will have to put it on some of my Maple trees that are over 2 feet in diameter. I am going to report it to the Sherriff's Dept tommorrow.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
If it was a quality hardwood I'd be sure to mention that in the report.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good bud of mine booby trapped his home made cams and two years in a row he caused nice injuries to those trespassing and tampering with his equipment. The second time it happened, the idiot neighbor (who knew about the booby traps) tried to take the cam anyway and ended up losing a part of his middle finger - straight to the E/R Hahahahahaha. Thats food fer thought.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not that they don't deserve it, but booby trapping a camera will cost you a lot more than replacing a stolen one. I would strongly advise against this!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You know- I work with a couple electronics companies... it would not be that hard to put a security feature on these cameras that would only allow someone with the proper code to download pictures from them... at least the digital integrated camera ones.... I wonder if they would be intersted in that???? Seems it might deter some of the theft. But then again- most of the people that steal items are ignorant enough to not know better and would steal them anyway....

Sorry to hear about it. I have had stands stolen... just once I would like to catch em in the act...

·
Registered
188 Posts
YOTEANTIDOTE said:
Not that they don't deserve it, but booby trapping a camera will cost you a lot more than replacing a stolen one. I would strongly advise against this!
The burden of proof is on the prosecution/plaintiff and not the suspect/defendant - If the prosecution cannot prove that someone deliberately booby trapped a camera, or provide incontrovertible evidence that the camera belongs to the defendant in the first place....what case does the prosecution/plaintiff have? So far in my friends case, the sheriff's dept. wouldn't even take a complaint from the neighbor idiot and his civil action was tossed out by not one but two different judges. Remember, this guy lost a substantial chunk of a finger and still cant make a case - sometimes the justice system actually does work.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never said that I booby trapped my cams, but in the case of another guy, it has worked really well. Not to give the whole secret away, but the "trap" is really just a condition created whereby the thief ends up having to apply an amount of pressure to an item that at first does not appear to be sharp. The particular surface happens to be a painted razor and the thief gets cut (deep) for prying on it. This part of the device is on the interior and is only encountered after the thief has cut or broken a lock to get into it.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
zeronine said:
The burden of proof is on the prosecution/plaintiff and not the suspect/defendant - If the prosecution cannot prove that someone deliberately booby trapped a camera, or provide incontrovertible evidence that the camera belongs to the defendant in the first place....what case does the prosecution/plaintiff have? So far in my friends case, the sheriff's dept. wouldn't even take a complaint from the neighbor idiot and his civil action was tossed out by not one but two different judges. Remember, this guy lost a substantial chunk of a finger and still cant make a case - sometimes the justice system actually does work.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never said that I booby trapped my cams, but in the case of another guy, it has worked really well. Not to give the whole secret away, but the "trap" is really just a condition created whereby the thief ends up having to apply an amount of pressure to an item that at first does not appear to be sharp. The particular surface happens to be a painted razor and the thief gets cut
(deep) for prying on it. This part of the device is on the interior and is only encountered after the thief has cut or broken a lock to get into it.
Still a pretty stupid thing to do if you ask me.:rolleyes: And I'm sure many will agree with me. Theres better ways to go about catching a thief.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mich. Buck Wacker said:
Still a pretty stupid thing to do if you ask me.:rolleyes: And I'm sure many will agree with me. Theres better ways to go about catching a thief.
Nice thing about owning your own land is that you dont have to do what "many people would agree" to be correct. I support my bud because he's a close friend and i think he has the right to build his camera whichever way he wants - after all it does have a lock on it and you first have to get past that to get inside it in order to injure yourself. Who's more wrong, the guy that builds a camera with sharp edges on its protected interior, or the person who breaks the lock to get into his camera while trespassing?

Our society has definitely dealt a us a curve ball lately in that our social pradigms have shifted so greatly that when someone hears about a "booby trapped camera" the first thing they think of is how wrong it's owner/manufacture is - they never even consider stopping to think about why it is that a person would have to go to such great lengths to protect their property in the first place.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Brotherman sorry to hear about the theft, it's your decision, but i wouldn't toss the idea of not allowing anyone on the property if they follow the curtousy of asking for permission and they abide by your rules and such. theres alot of good people out there that will follow the rules and don't have the access to property, state or private to enjoy the outdoors. i've got some property in the UP near the sault that i can't watch, but i've allowed my neihbors and some friends to be on there and they watch it for me so to speak.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
To bad the fellow got hurt, but has nobody to blame but himself. He was where he wasn't supposed to be doing what he wasn't supposed to be doing. Hopefully a lesson was learned, but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
don't go to the local police they have less money and time to do anything about it. not to mention less will happen to the scum bag even if he is caught by them. go to the conservation officer and make your formal complaint. they are the ones who'll go after them with a vengance and a heavier fine and penalties will be imposed on them with this route of prosecution. also you have the tresspass issue on record with the dnr and they are the ones who will nail the scum bag. their job is in the woods and water a hell of alot more than the local police. and who knows uncle buck might be the captain of the police force, and uncle ain't going to do squat in a small town setting. something to think about! don't let the locals know what you know, let the c.o.'s know what you know.
and this is not in any means to be taken out of perspective about all police officers, but some do, do those little things for the kin folk and you know who you are! 90% or more officers don't care who you are but>>>>>> that's where i'll end it!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI said:
don't go to the local police they have less money and time to do anything about it. not to mention less will happen to the scum bag even if he is caught by them. go to the conservation officer and make your formal complaint. they are the ones who'll go after them with a vengance and a heavier fine and penalties will be imposed on them with this route of prosecution. also you have the tresspass issue on record with the dnr and they are the ones who will nail the scum bag. their job is in the woods and water a hell of alot more than the local police. and who knows uncle buck might be the captain of the police force, and uncle ain't going to do squat in a small town setting. something to think about! don't let the locals know what you know, let the c.o.'s know what you know.
and this is not in any means to be taken out of perspective about all police officers, but some do, do those little things for the kin folk and you know who you are! 90% or more officers don't care who you are but>>>>>> that's where i'll end it!
I am in Wisconsin and in Wisconsin you have to go to the Local County Sherriffs Dept. for Trespassing. The CO's will not handle this as they are under staffed and under funded. I know the person is some one that knows the land as this camera was in some thick crap and who ever it was after finding the camera had to get a saw to cut the tree down. I had a report filled out this morning but I rather doubt I will get my camera back.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Mich. Buck Wacker said:
Who cares if you catch em, just teach them not to steal or tresspass.
The lesson has already been learned at this point and quite effectivly and fair IMO>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts