Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning to try and call in some coyotes that I seen during deer season. After giving a second call I had a small red fox come in. He caught me off gaurd so I wasn't able to take a shot. If I get another chance at him I'll definitely take a shot. I had also seen him before while walking back to my truck in the same spot. I didn't figure I would be able to call anything in since I have never tried to call in predators so I was very surprised.

Has anyone ever had a fox that you shot mounted?

I would like to get one now and put it next to the coyote I'm having mounted. I am having it mounted with a Black squirrel in it's mouth.
Anyone else ever call in a fox? I have read that they are harder to get to come in than a coyote. Hopefully I'll be able to get them darn coyotes and see more deer next year.

1-CHANCE

·
Registered
536 Posts
The first time I ever attempted calling I called in a Red. I hiked about 250 yards out into a muddy cornfield and posted myself up along a brushy fencerow. I grabbed my rabbit squealer and tried to sound like something in trouble. About 5 seconds later a red fox stepped out of the woods about 100 yards away.

Thats when I realized I made a couple mistakes. My first mistake was in not waiting untill I had caught my breath from the hike in. My second mistake was in my rifle selection. I was using a heavy barrel rifle that I had set up for shooting from a bench at prairie dogs with.

So there I was, trying to hold an eleven pound rifle steady while huffing like a train. My excitement overrode my better judgement and I attempted a shot. I missed but my partner connected on the fox when it made a wide circle through the woods. I went back out to the exact same spot 3 days later and called in another red and shot him at about 80 yards.

My personal opinion is that the coyotes are harder to call in than the red fox. It seems like fox are the only thing I can get to come in. I am hoping we get the snow I keep hearing about because I am planning on trying a new piece of land where the owner claims to see coyotes. Maybe I will finally get my first coyote on tuesday.

·
Registered
393 Posts
For what it's worth. I don't know much about these things, but I can tell you from experience.I feel once a fox or coyote busts ya when you're trying to call him in you probably won't be able to call the same one in again for awhile. What you've done is educate them to your call. I feel that's why towards the end of the season rabbit squellers aren't as effective around here. Many that try calling blow a rabbit squeller & end up blowing them way too hard & for too long. The result is a dejected caller & a wiser fox.I had real good luck last year on coyotes using other types of calls. Never called one in last year with the rabbit squeller.Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't work-just not my cup of tea. Good luck!!!:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cooner,

I believe your right about educating them to a certain call. I was out at the farm yesterday where I hunt and there were tracks from fox and coyote in the snow running everywhere. I was out there to goose hunt. When the shooting time was up for the geese I walked around and seen fresh tracks that weren't there when I first got to the farm.
Although I didn't do any shooting the fox was out on the prowl because the tracks looked as if he was just trotting. So he is still running in the area I hunt. I'm going to sit tight at the spot I hunt this weekend and see if I can just catch him coming through. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts