Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I started calling for the first time from my blind. Had some results of buck grunts but nothing really came into view. Does anyone have luck rattling and calling during the gun season or by that time are the bucks done fighting with each other?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Last year I started calling for the first time from my blind. Had some results of buck grunts but nothing really came into view. Does anyone have luck rattling and calling during the gun season or by that time are the bucks done fighting with each other?
A buddy was sitting in a ground blind on public land a few years ago...where he was sitting was a bit of a pumpkin patch. Well, opening morning he hits the rattle bag a few times....and hears some rattling a hundred yards or so away in a clearing. There were a few trees blocking his view of this particular spot in the clearing. My buddy assumes another hunter let go with his own rattle bag. Later in the morning one of his new pumpkin patch pals slides out of his ground blind and proceeds to start building another blind near where the rattling was coming from. My buddy walks out around noon and wanders by the new neighbor....neighbor asks my buddy if he saw the two bucks fighting in front of him. Apparently the answered rattling wasn't another hunter joining in.

My own opinion, but the buck/doe population and buck age structure is such a mess in Michigan (due to the incredible hunting pressure and quantity of 1.5yr old bucks harvested each year), that many of the "tools" that may be quite effective in places like Illinois and Texas aren't nearly as effective in Michigan.

Of course, all the hunting shows I used to watch indicate that a couple of hits on the rattle bag is all it takes to call in a couple of 140+ class "shooters" - so I may be doing it wrong. It may just be me, but I've not seen many of these guys on opening day in Michigan on public land. :)

Your mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
17,770 Posts
I call all season long, but do not rattle.
I call in a lot of bucks the last week of archery season (a few days before gun) on a regular basis.
Last year, I blindly called this guy in on the opening morning of firearms.

<----<<<

·
Registered
105 Posts
Call, Call, Call, all season long, right after day break, and the mid day , ten second intervals, every 15 minutes for 1 hour in the morning, every 15 minutes from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. in the mid day, get set and be ready, you will be surprised what this calling will produce. Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Like mentioned above it works well in Texas as other places with little to no hunting pressure but in Michigan it is hit and miss. More miss, I had deer grunting but not in view had a decoy set up but never came in... Had more luck with scents but only with buttons... But I don't buy my scents from any retail stores but from a guy that only sells most hunting scents and store them properly not in high temps that can spoil them. He also sells many I have never seen anywhere else.

And I have hunted also in Montana and walked up and seen deer and taken them, big bucks again nothing like hunting here in Michigan. But the TV Shows suggest it works every where like the Decoys... Not saying it won't but not as well as it does on the shows or other states...

It won't hurt to try it but give a bit of a break between doing it maybe a Buck might just walk by. Doing it more my not work as well.

Newaygo1

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nothing in the regs anywhere saying you cant use an electronic caller for deer btw.:D regs say not allowed for turkey

Yote hunting i call them in all the time. most callers have all the buck sounds available... rattle, light sparring, buck fight, grunt etc etc

Caller on the ground you in the tree, sounds good to me

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I have a cheap true talker grunt tube. Do you recommend it?
that will be fine. no 2 deer make the same exact noises in the woods. your call may resemble an immature buck to a mature bucks' ears and may run right in to kick his little butt!!!!

on the other hand, it may sound like the mature buck and scare immature or "beat up" bucks away.

all you can do is try it and see what happens. take the calling tips mentioned above and give it a try.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/81087/ppuser/5651

if this link worked, i shot this buck at 115 p.m. on November 2 a few years back on state land. he was running a doe like crazy. when i first heard him grunting, i thought it was someone messing around walking down the main trail. then, the doe ran by me and stopped at 10 yards and he was right on her tail. i heard this buck grunt several different tones/volumes before i could get a clean shot. i shot him at 7 steps from my tree.....he put his head back to the ground and resumed after the doe.......for about 40 yards and he fell over chasing her and never even acknowledged he was shot!!!!!

:fish:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts