Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone out there has an opinion.:lol: But I have been thinking about buying one of those cadillac Elite rods. I would be using it for perch and bluegills. Has anyone used them? Are there any other threads on them I didn't see any. Thanks for your thoughts...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would buy the St. Croix Legend Elite ice rod. The springs on the rods are so senitive. I like the UL for smelt, panfish, and wallies under 3 lbs. I have caught so many more fish with this rod that if I am not catching fish I know the bite is off. A great confidence builder. I have fished next to people and they see me catching fish and get insterested to what I am useing but it`s the rod I can see the bite. I will invite them over, cut a hole for them, give them the same jig that I am useing am they still have the same results. You have to see the bite. Babe Winkilman(sp) just had a show (oln) this week on this rod and showed how senitive it is. I have bought $75. custom rods and this rod blows them away. It`s not a gimmick. You won`t be sorry if you buy this rod.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Guess I'm not familiar with the Cadillac Elite rods---What can you tell me about them?

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
The Cadillac Elite Rod.....is only good for........EXOTIC SPECIES.....DONTCHANO....:dizzy: :dizzy:

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I was checking those out in Jays the other day. Almost bought the 48" one to experiment with considering they were only $12.00. They looks very similar to Schooley's Artic Blues line (very similar color scheme as well), and HT's Ice Blues line (though different color scheme and grip).

There's probably some OEM in China manufacturing all 3 lines and slapping different colors and labels on them.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
bhorn said:
I would buy the St. Croix Legend Elite ice rod. The springs on the rods are so senitive. I like the UL for smelt, panfish, and wallies under 3 lbs. I have caught so many more fish with this rod that if I am not catching fish I know the bite is off. A great confidence builder. I have fished next to people and they see me catching fish and get insterested to what I am useing but it`s the rod I can see the bite. I will invite them over, cut a hole for them, give them the same jig that I am useing am they still have the same results. You have to see the bite. Babe Winkilman(sp) just had a show (oln) this week on this rod and showed how senitive it is. I have bought $75. custom rods and this rod blows them away. It`s not a gimmick. You won`t be sorry if you buy this rod.
I have 6 St. Croix combos. They are the "real deal". I load 'em up with a different type spring bobber, but they are excellent rods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is a link for more info on the Cadillac Elite rods.
http://www.pilgrimvillagefishing.com/cadillacelite.html
I agree you have to see the bite. I have a berkely Micro lite rod that really shows the bite no spring just very lite tip, but it doesn't seem to have the backing in the lower part of the rod. I have lost fish because I didn't get a good hook set. I was hoping that the cadillac elite would give me the best of both. I will for sure check out the
St. Croix rod.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Another thought would be to check out ice fishing rods that Jammin Jigs has. Hard to beat 4 for $20.00!

http://www.jamminjigs.com/

Besides its always a plus to give one of the sponsers of this site a little business! ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Your fishing rod is one of the most important piece of equipment you can have icefishing. How many times have you gone fishing and caught a few fish and said there not biting? But they were biting you just didn`t see the bite. Cheap rods get cheap results. Why do you think all the big pro guys use all the high end stuff? Because they can catch more fish with them. They can feel the bite better. When it come to icefishing guys don`t want to spend the money on rods but will pay good money for an auger, shelters, electronics, ect. but won`t buy a quality rod for icefishing. Do yourself a favor a buy one. It will be the best purchase you made this ice season!!! I went form catching a few to catching 50-100+ fish in a day with the St. Croix Legend rod.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
bhorn I agree, alot of people spend big money on everything but the rods. But, the strike indicator on the end of your rod is why you are seeing the bite, really the pole has very little to do with it until you hook the fish and fight it in. I use the thorne bros. panfish sweethearts and they are without a doubt the finest ice rods. Mine have no strike indicator, I watch my line where it enters the water while always pounding my lure. The rods I'm using feel very stiff, when I want to move my jig 1/16" up and down I can, I'm not moving a flimsy rod tip or spring. Alot of people call these flimsy rods sensative, but it could not be further from the truth. When you get operated on does the surgeon use a sword, no they use a scapal, short stiff and very precise movements. Alot of people can't see the bite when tightlining or watching the line, thats why they have crutches, to help the handicaped and thats what a springbobber does. :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thorne Bros. makes good rods. A lot of my friends use them but if I need to buy one or two good rods I will go with Croix. If you think a spring is a crutch then I guess there are a lot of great fisherman that need a crutch. If you follow any of the european or russian icefishing tournys they will have springs on there rods. They can out fish the U.S. guys hands down. That`s why they are on top of the leader board and were not even a mention. You are starting to see some european and russian jigs showing up here and that`s because they work. We can learn a ton from them.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
tommy, I could'nt have said it better myself. Are foreign friends are big time line watchers. I like their jigs. As far as out fish us :nono: I'm not all to sure about that, but who knows. Thorne bros. hands down if a fish even sniffs the bait he's pinned. If a guy likes a buggy whip for a rod go for it I have pals that use them. A positive mental attitude will catch you more fish than the rod.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Team St. Croix just won last month 10,00 bucks useing "buggy whips" on there rods. A lot of guys on the tour are changing to them because they just catch more fish. Sight fishing with a rod and then useing that same rod in 20+ feet of water or in stained water isn`t going to do much for you. Dave Genz fished the european the championship I believe back in `93. That was team USA. We didn`t even make a mention over there, but here they are heros and that`s because there isn`t anyone to tell us any different. Now Dave is Mr. Icefisherman. Props to Dave but we stil have a lot to learn. I wish they would have the world championship here in the states and then you we can realize were not number one in everything.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I don't know what species everyone primarily targets here during ice season but I primarily go for panfish. It's been hard for me to justify spending a lot of money on "quality" ice rods due to the frequent number of limits I've caught on $7.99 Ice Blues or Arctic Blues rods. I'm not knocking the expensive rods if that's what it takes for you to catch panfish, but it just hasn't been something required for my personal success. The old-timers that I fish around that around that have been known to do better than me use even cheaper poles. Go figure. :)
Getting a fish on the line, is only part 1. Part 2 is getting the fish up. And for that, I would never trade in my ultralight sensative (or flimsy if you prefer) rods for stiff ones. I love it fishing in 15-20FOW when a monster crappie or gill has the pole bent over. Makes for great times that I haven't been able to duplicate with stiffer poles. With the stiffer poles, to me it feels more like I'm just out there to harvest, and that's not the case.

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
Oh, my poles bend, it's they don't bend when I'm poundind my teardrop only after I hook the fish. They are made from the tips of sage and loomis steelhead rod blanks alot better quality than most other rods on the market.I'm a line watcher, I like using the 2lb yellow stren with a 2lb floro leader.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good discussion. I was ready to run out and buy one of the Cadillac Elite rods but with all this discussion and replies I think I will take my time. I have not heard anything from someone who has one.??/ Either its a well kept secret or its just another rod:sad: . Besides around here I think I have time before we get any ice......

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
tommy-n said:
Oh, my poles bend, it's they don't bend when I'm poundind my teardrop only after I hook the fish. They are made from the tips of sage and loomis steelhead rod blanks alot better quality than most other rods on the market.I'm a line watcher, I like using the 2lb yellow stren with a 2lb floro leader.
When you do that, how long do you make your leader? What length sweetheart do you use?

After reading the posts, I'm tempted to try one of these guys out, but like I said, it's hard for me to justify the funds. Went to the thornebros site and they're ice rods are 10% off, but the 28" is still $50.00. :( My wife would kill me if she saw I spent that much on "one more rod." Maybe I'll return all the beer cans in the basement and get a money order -- don't want the paper trail that a credit card creates. :lol:

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I can't vouch for the Cadillacs or the Thornes but the St. Croix PIR 32M is exactly what Tommy is describing. I used to make quite a few ice rods from the steelhead rods too, the St. Croix are exactly that, just better "balanced".
I do cheat though and put a spring bobber on too.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
Rich P, I usually tie a 24''-30'' leader either p-line or vanish flourocarbon in 2lb test. William H Bonney nailed it also with the stcroix, If I did'nt have the sweethearts 28" I would go for the st.croix. I tried the 24"sweetthing but always favored the 28". I have two sweethearts teamed up with the tica's 500 match series, awesome set up's. I also have one spare just in case I break one:lol: Went out fishing today for a half day and only caught 4 keepers, a 14 1/2'' perch and a 10 1/2'' gill and two 8-9 inchers. I caught that perch in the same spot my son got the 15 1/8" perch the day after christmas, the gps said I was within 9 ft.:) Thinking about putting the perch on the wall with his:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts