Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Cabelas was always a big box store. They do have good deals on electronics once in a while but they have went downhill. I used to go to Gander Mountain quite a bit while they where in business. I go to Outdoorsman Pro Shop now.
When I first started at Cabela's I did a LOT of outfitting. Hot weather and cold weather, hunting and fishing. Even outfitted two National Geographic shows for work on an intact woolly mammoth.

Once they sold out, and went public, all that stopped.

Gander was a joke. I left Gander and started my trucking company.

· Registered
215 Posts
Hands down (Lunkers) was my all time favorite tackle store.That place was just awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I worked at Lunkers back in the 90's, was a great store and restaurant. Amazing how many folks from different areas shopped at Lunkers. I used to pay attention to the activity of the fish in the aquarium. Used to run home and fish on those active days, remember a few times getting on a hot bite.

Clearwater H20 has a lot of good fishing tackle for all species. You can find a lot of stuff in there you can't find anywhere else.

· Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Cabelas was always a big box store. They do have good deals on electronics once in a while but they have went downhill. I used to go to Gander Mountain quite a bit while they where in business. I go to Outdoorsman Pro Shop now.
Say hello to Sparky23. He was always one of the first to get on the ice in SW Michigan. I don't think he posts here any longer.

· Registered
7,079 Posts
I worked at Lunkers back in the 90's, was a great store and restaurant. Amazing how many folks from different areas shopped at Lunkers. I used to pay attention to the activity of the fish in the aquarium. Used to run home and fish on those active days, remember a few times getting on a hot bite.

Clearwater H20 has a lot of good fishing tackle for all species. You can find a lot of stuff in there you can't find anywhere else.
My father used to peek at our aquarium before we'd go fishing. If they were just sitting on bottom, we'd fish tight and light. Tight to bottom, light small jig and hope for the best

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
1,439 Posts
Last one I went to was in Green Bay and selection was very good..but employees wete a joke. But to be fair, they WERE Packer fans, so.....

Bass Pro changed them for the worse...forever. I accept the gift cards and use them on known items via the www.

All brick in mortar stores are endangered. Buy local when possible!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
20,991 Posts
I have probably $1k in cabelas cards... been waiting for something to buy from them but literally nothing has come up. Yeah its a gift card but it's also paying more for the same crap.
A bunch of us you meet you there for lunch.

L & O

· Registered
grouse, quail, pheasant, woodcock, geese, ducks, rabbit, squirrel, deer, turkey, bear, alligator
38 Posts
Had their CC for yrs now, second oldest credit account I have. Would actually hurt my credit to close it down. I've been running my shooting range business (and other) using that card. I then go cash in my Cabelas points for a new gun or ammo once in a while. It has been sad to watch the company deteriorate to it's current state... I think the Bass Pro take over was the final stroke.

· Registered
grouse, quail, pheasant, woodcock, geese, ducks, rabbit, squirrel, deer, turkey, bear, alligator
38 Posts
So...this discussion got me thinking :unsure:

Anybody following this thread have an opinion about Scheels?

I created an account there maybe 2 seasons ago when I needed to order something I couldn't find in stock anywhere else. Now before we go down the "shop local" rabbit hole... I live in "central" Ohio, so finding ice fishing gear sitting on a shelf AT ALL is a friggin' miracle, let alone finding what you actually WANT. So, that being said... I gotta have stuff shipped because stopping at a mom and pop on my way is pretty hit or miss. Is the shop on my route? Will I be driving by when they are open? Will they have exactly what I am looking for? BESIDES the fact that if I'm on the road for a fishing trip, any stopping on the way just delays my arrival time and possibly fishing time ie...stopping 2-3 places to find stuff!

Scheels is employee owned, they seem to "have stuff" I'm looking for. Their sale prices are better than other retailers here and there PLUS they have a similar (to Cab's) rewards program for their VISA. I could stop using that damn Capital One Mastercard 🤬 they switched to when Bass Pro took over...

Cash in all my Cab's points on a nice Beretta O/U and just start using Scheels card from here on out :cool:

Reactions: TK81

· Registered
1,712 Posts
So...this discussion got me thinking :unsure:

Anybody following this thread have an opinion about Scheels?

I created an account there maybe 2 seasons ago when I needed to order something I couldn't find in stock anywhere else. Now before we go down the "shop local" rabbit hole... I live in "central" Ohio, so finding ice fishing gear sitting on a shelf AT ALL is a friggin' miracle, let alone finding what you actually WANT. So, that being said... I gotta have stuff shipped because stopping at a mom and pop on my way is pretty hit or miss. Is the shop on my route? Will I be driving by when they are open? Will they have exactly what I am looking for? BESIDES the fact that if I'm on the road for a fishing trip, any stopping on the way just delays my arrival time and possibly fishing time ie...stopping 2-3 places to find stuff!

Scheels is employee owned, they seem to "have stuff" I'm looking for. Their sale prices are better than other retailers here and there PLUS they have a similar (to Cab's) rewards program for their VISA. I could stop using that damn Capital One Mastercard 🤬 they switched to when Bass Pro took over...

Cash in all my Cab's points on a nice Beretta O/U and just start using Scheels card from here on out :cool:
Have have order a few things from them when I couldn't find it anywhere else. Never any issues and shipping was good. Also check out Reeds Family Outdoor Outfitters in Walker, MN.

· Registered
2,296 Posts
I like scheels i bought a new Eskimo 8 inch auger last year. Cheapest price I found and had it in 4 days.

I’ve had good luck with the fishing guys at the cabelas Saginaw store. I’ve had bad experiences with some of the local mid Michigan fishing stores in the flint area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 88 Posts