Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Franks has become my "go to" store for pretty much everything outdoors. The kids love going in there and they even have a section for my wife to browse! Even if I have to spend a few bucks more, it is worth it. Having the ability to speak with employees who understand what real customer service is, is worth the extra money. Most of the time in big box stores, employees just answer questions by reading the information on the box. I want "real" answers from people who have experience using the products they sell. I wish they would open one up in Monroe County somewhere and give the big box stores a run for their money.

· Premium Member
14,834 Posts
I have probably $1k in cabelas cards... been waiting for something to buy from them but literally nothing has come up. Yeah its a gift card but it's also paying more for the same crap.
Cabelas blows! How many times have anyone of us sportsman walked in cabelas and literally walked out without a purchase me every time, mom and pop shops that’s the real deal
My experience exactly. I had to ask family members to stop buying me Cabela's gift cards. I probably still have a couple laying around. Used to find deals in the bargain cave ads every now and then. That was many years ago.

Only thing I have bought there in the last 5 years is a couple of their cheap trolling rods.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
I was in the Chesterfield Cabela's Monday after a Dr. appointment "In the city".

I was surprised at how many shanties they had out on display. I'm interested in upgrading this year.

Other than that I walked around for awhile as best as I could trying not to trip over all the crap they had in the aisles for Christmas gifts....Didn't buy a thing.

I always enjoyed shopping with Cabela's "back in the day", mostly by catalog. The place has gone steadily downhill since Bass Pro bought them.

Plan on heading to Frank's for their shanty days sale in December.

50,714 Posts
My experience exactly. I had to ask family members to stop buying me Cabela's gift cards. I probably still have a couple laying around. Used to find deals in the bargain cave ads every now and then. That was many years ago.

Only thing I have bought there in the last 5 years is a couple of their cheap trolling rods.
The bargain cave... used stuff for more than you can buy new elsewhere!

· Registered
379 Posts
Went to the Chesterfield store 2 weeks ago and they had 3 associates at the service desk bs'ing and only one cashier. Easy 10 deep waiting to check out. Ended up at the service desk to pay. What a cluster! Wonder who runs that store?
This sort of thing is becoming more prevalent at many of the Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops I've been in lately. A group of old men standing around shooting the breeze with each other ignoring the customers. Gotta find a woman or a younger worker to get any help.

· Premium Member
2,209 Posts
It’s a small store to begin with, do you expect them to devote 1/2 to a particular seasons tackle? Yours is the first non-positive post I’ve seen of this shop, they are super friendly, have a good selection, and give generous scoops of live bait.
but your opinion is yours, bash on

· Registered
4,399 Posts
Wish Franks was close by for me. Worst part is their hours have shortened. So like if I drive up on a friday night after getting out of work, they're closed by the time I pass by on my way to Oscoda. They used to have later hours on fridays.
Jays is the same way. Seems like I can never quite time my drive by's to be able to catch them while they're open.

Around where I live theres not much for quality and selection. Knutsons in Brooklyn has decent enough, but kind of out of my way. They do have good bait though. Even wigglers, although you have to be there when they 1st get a supply to get the biggest ones.

These days I get a lot of things on line ordered. Bait I try to line up a place thats on my way to where I'm going. Depending on that I do have some favorite "local" places. And I usually buy other stuff from them as well. The local places always seem to have a better selection of whats working at the particular moment. But not good places to say purchase a new rod. Been finding that rod purchases I'm pretty much only able to find what want on line. Reels the same way.

Times have changed for sure.

· Registered
8 Posts
What….y’all are kidding, right? Who on earth don’t like paying retail + and being pumped to get that FREE shipping??
Do the long math people and buy local. Generally it’s a wash with the bonus of supporting our own and maintaining critical infrastructure i.e., live bait.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts