Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Cabela’s

7088 87
Holy cow has this place hit the basement. Had an old gift card and decided to run over here tonight for some ice fishing stuff. Their icefishing section is smaller than my bathroom!
Urban design City Event Machine Retail
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
If you’re looking for good selections of icefishing stuff, gotta stay say from the national big box retailers. It’s such a small niche market with competition from smaller places that cater to icefishing during the winter that they know it’s tough to compete and the ROI isn’t worth taking up a lot of shelf space.

Go with places like Franks, Jays, or local mom and pop shops like Sportsman Direct, Lakeside, Anglers Point the old Blue Water Bait and Tackle (all on Lake St Clair), or even Pilgrims Village on lake Mitchell in Cadillac if you ventures take you anywhere near those.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Cabelas hasn't been the same since Bass Pro bought them out. Lots of chinese junk.
I have probably $1k in cabelas cards... been waiting for something to buy from them but literally nothing has come up. Yeah its a gift card but it's also paying more for the same crap.
Went to the Chesterfield store 2 weeks ago and they had 3 associates at the service desk bs'ing and only one cashier. Easy 10 deep waiting to check out. Ended up at the service desk to pay. What a cluster! Wonder who runs that store?

Something about a rusty spoon!
Sounds like ex Walmart employees
Went to the Chesterfield store 2 weeks ago and they had 3 associates at the service desk bs'ing and only one cashier. Easy 10 deep waiting to check out. Ended up at the service desk to pay. What a cluster! Wonder who runs that store?

Something about a rusty spoon!
A new Sitka parka and bibs….and maybe a pop. That ought to use it all[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I have probably $1k in cabelas cards... been waiting for something to buy from them but literally nothing has come up. Yeah its a gift card but it's also paying more for the same crap.
They stopped being an outfitter LONG before Bass Pro bought them out. They became the "K-Mart" of sporting goods when the Cabela Brothers sold out to wall street
Cabelas hasn't been the same since Bass Pro bought them out. Lots of chinese junk.
Northwoods has probably the most ice fishing equipment I've ever seen anywhere near me. Prices are average but stock is always good.
Trying to get a size large in thier warm jacket. Been trying for 2 weeks!
I stopped at D and R sports ( west of Kzoo) last week and they didn't have a lot of stuff out yet. They are waiting till after their big ice fishing show on Dec 3&4.
I've never been to their ice fishing show. Might have to stop by this year

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Franks if your in the area has the best selection. Also knowledgeable staff.
Shanty Days sale early December. Best deals on shanty's around.
Franks if your in the area has the best selection. Also knowledgeable staff.
Cabela's has been dead to me for years. Same with Bass Pro. I've got $100 in Bass Pro gift cards from when I retired and I think I'll just use them to buy some bulk line to re-spool all of my reels.for 2023. Sure was a good place 20 years ago....sucks now...
Seems like when bass pro bought Cabela's they quickly went south. They also purchased Oneida Eagle. That's when I stopped shooting Oneida bows. Called them asking to purchase a few strings, cables and extra power limbs for my current Oneida. They couldn't help me claiming they don't have parts for the bows and not sure when they would. Pretty much was a no brainer at that point.
Cabela's has been dead to me for years. Same with Bass Pro. I've got $100 in Bass Pro gift cards from when I retired and I think I'll just use them to buy some bulk line to re-spool all of my reels.for 2023. Sure was a good place 20 years ago....sucks now...
Every time I go there,they have less inventory. Northwoods in Pinconning has 10 times the fishing supplies. Both open water and ice. Prices are better as well.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I wouldn't even wanna live remotely close to that place!!
Every time I go there,they have less inventory. Northwoods in Pinconning has 10 times the fishing supplies. Both open water and ice. Prices are better as well.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Ya, it's a Zoo for sure. I get there around 0630 during the week and I'm alone in the store. NEVER on weekends.
I wouldn't even wanna live remotely close to that place!!
Frank's is my fav for sure. I was really happy this year as the ice rod selection was excellent. Really like most of the staff there also. Really miss big Matt though.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts