Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,112 Posts
I could have sworn this virus has a survival rate of a little over 97 % according to the experts. With "tens or hundreds of millions dead" I guess those experts are wrong. Why do I get the feeling some people are so obsessed with this virus to the point they have become irrational.
What is the world population? Now do some math. Just 1% would be something like 78,000,000.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
What is the world population? Now do some math. Just 1% would be something like 78,000,000.
I understand that. What I don't understand is yours and one or two others that are posting here, complete obsession with this virus. While I'm not discounting the dangers of this virus, there are other diseases that kill just as many every year and I don't see the obsession with those. And yes, I know those other disease are transmitted so easily as this but I wonder if this wasn't an election year with such a huge political divide in the country and knowing the survival rate, if all the hoopla (for want of a better word) would have existed.

·
Super Moderator
35,112 Posts
I understand that. What I don't understand is yours and one or two others that are posting here, complete obsession with this virus. While I'm not discounting the dangers of this virus, there are other diseases that kill just as many every year and I don't see the obsession with those. And yes, I know those other disease are transmitted so easily as this but I wonder if this wasn't an election year with such a huge political divide in the country and knowing the survival rate, if all the hoopla (for want of a better word) would have existed.
Far from obsessed. Sorry.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I can't really can't say want I want to say due to the political ban on these forums, so those that want to wallow in the Covid panic and needless economic shutdowns get a free pass.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep. So add to that.
Then take away all the people who didn’t die this year from heart disease, cancer, diabetes, the flu, etc... and we are right back to the same as we always have been, and going forward won’t be any different.

New strain=New flu season just like every year. It’s never the same, just a bit different and the shot is never 100%, but a best guess (SWAG) as to what strain is going to be most prevalent.

If I remember correctly, don’t they start the new “flu” season counts in October every year, well except for 2020? We might as well just roll them all together to keep people in complete chaos as they are easier to control that way.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Then take away all the people who didn’t die this year from heart disease, cancer, diabetes, the flu, etc... and we are right back to the same as we always have been, and going forward won’t be any different.

New strain=New flu season just like every year. It’s never the same, just a bit different and the shot is never 100%, but a best guess (SWAG) as to what strain is going to be most prevalent.

If I remember correctly, don’t they start the new “flu” season counts in October every year, well except for 2020? We might as well just roll them all together to keep people in complete chaos as they are easier to control that way.
It's real and with a little thought those at risk could of been easily protected, but it then turned into a manipulated scam to be used for political gain, nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
35,112 Posts

Okay well check the data when its been a full year and see if there is any change to the average. If it didn't really move then you can be correct.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I was waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting, before the thread went sideways.
I don’t think the actual abstract for that paper is what kicked off the media storm last week. If their range was up to 74%, that would have been the number that made the rounds instead of 70%. My guess is one of the paper authors did an interview and he verbally rounded it off to 70%. This kind of process would not have left an easy to find paper trail back to the source material.

Now we wait for the peer review process and watch what other countries do that already have confirmed cases.

·
Premium Member
14,153 Posts
What is different about the new strain? The reports I have heard are that the protein spikes are more resistant to falling off if the virus is not kept moist.

Same expected heath issues as the same protein spikes are involved. The main difference is that the virus will live longer on counters etc. That longer life is what makes it more likely to be transmitted.

The same preventive measures, hand washing, do not rub eyes, and masks will remain effective.

It is also highly likely that the current vaccines will remain effective as the protein spikes remain the same.

·
Registered
966 Posts
And how ad is this new one supposed to be? Anyone hospitalized with it or just checking positive with the sniffles?

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
As far as my experience goes- as a critical care nurse- many more infections with this wave- significantly less severity of symptoms. Although acute severe renal failure continues in some demographics.

·
Super Moderator
35,112 Posts
As far as my experience goes- as a critical care nurse- many more infections with this wave- significantly less severity of symptoms. Although acute severe renal failure continues in some demographics.
Any insight as to why? I know you're just treating them but curious as to what you think.

I've heard the idea that initial viral load is strongly correlated to severity of illness (someone sneezed in your face vs walked by). With all the precautions now it seems loading would be less.

·
Premium Member
14,153 Posts
Any insight as to why? I know you're just treating them but curious as to what you think.

I've heard the idea that initial viral load is strongly correlated to severity of illness (someone sneezed in your face vs walked by). With all the precautions now it seems loading would be less.
A more robust virus may give a higher effective exposure with the size exposure.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts