Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some property in Alpena county, and a friend brought up the tb issue. I found that the the property is in DMU 452.Does anybody have any useful imput as to weather I should drop it or is the tb issue not a deal breaker. I'm doing research online but thought maybe someone here owns land there or hunts that area that has some first hand experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,917 Posts
Consider that the DNR's goal is to manage the deer population in 452 as low as possible to prevent the spread of TB, That will never change as long as TB is present. Some propertys do not follow that idea and manage for their own benefit.... I guess that depends on the location, size of property and how much importance you place on disease control.

There is also no gaurantee that TB will stay at the level it is now.

It still could be a good spot.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My family has owned land (450 acres) in the tb zone for over 50 years and we have never had any cases as far as we know. We submit almost all of our deer for testing except a couple of the big boys that have been mounted. Also I do want to mention it seems as if deer numbers have gone considerably down the last couple years.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It depends on the area. Ive hunted in ossineke my whole life and there are plenty of good areas around. As for TB, its a joke! The % found in deer has and will be there forever. Bow hunting pressure is very low in that whole area, so that could be a plus. As stated earlier, lots of land owners in the TB zone follow QDM and not the DNR. My .02 and good luck!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There are still more deer in DMU 452 than just about anywhere else in the NE Lower. I would not let the TB issue steer you away from buying property in the area. Just all depends on what your goals are for owning the property.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There are still more deer in DMU 452 than just about anywhere else in the NE Lower. /
Really?!? Are you willing to share where in 452 these deer are? We've had property in that area for 34 years and from what I've seen, the populations in 452 are lower than any non-urban area I've ever seen in this state (including the UP).

John

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Get your butt up here!! I live in Alcona County and there are still tons of deer around. We have noticed that a lot of the older does are teaching the youngsters coming up to go TOTALLY nighttime.

The late antlerless season in 2010 I would see an average of 20-50 deer a night. No BS.

Lots of great people in this area. Good hearts and friendly.

Property prices are real good for the buyer!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I own a 60 acre parcel west off US-23 13 miles south of Cheboygan. I plant food plots, have had cuttings done, built doe and buck beds, and follow all of the rules suggested by professional whitetail property manager I hired and I read alot. I have not seen a deer in the last eight rifle seasons. If you are looking for a delux and I mean dfrekinglux hunting property with cabin, pole-barn, tractor and all the goodies, send me a PM.

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doctors Club area has a good number of deer and some very nice bucks . Fletcher Pond down to Curran on the larger tracts of private land is pretty good but when all the neighbors have 40 and 80 acres forget it. Not many tb pos deer even though that is in the hot zone. It is always one down the road that you hear about.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There have been less case of tb be deer in 452 then other wildlife that have been tested positive for it turtle hunt culb is were the tb was discovered up in 452 which was high fence game ranch I have hunted 452 over 25 years and have never seen a case of tb at all and I am right down the road from the strat of it all supposedly my family harvested numerous deer per season and have never seen a single case of it at allOutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it sounds like there are a couple of extremes as far as the numbers go but over all no one seems to be too bother by the tb situation. I will go ahead and see what my options are as far as financing and go from there.

·
Banned
861 Posts
I live and hunt in DMU 452 and own hunting property in DMU 001 Alcona County close to DMU 004 Alpena County. I've been taking older does for years and had every one of them tested since testing started. No cases of TB. No hesitation with recommending that area for hunting. Alcona County has a reputation for cheaper taxes and cheaper land than Alpena County. The racks are tiny in the eastern half of both counties, except where the clubs have embraced QDM. The gene pool is frequently blamed, but truthfully, very few bucks reach age 2. except within the clubs that have embraced QDM.

·
Registered
937 Posts
There are always exceptions but there are plenty of deer around. If you do your research you should find a great piece of hunting prop for next to nothing. A buddy of mine lives in Ossineke, nowhere close to hunt clubs, and passes up 100" bucks every year! QDM is starting to take off in a lot of areas though so just do some research

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own a 60 acre parcel west off US-23 13 miles south of Cheboygan. I plant food plots, have had cuttings done, built doe and buck beds, and follow all of the rules suggested by professional whitetail property manager I hired and I read alot. I have not seen a deer in the last eight rifle seasons. If you are looking for a delux and I mean dfrekinglux hunting property with cabin, pole-barn, tractor and all the goodies, send me a PM.

Steve
I must live about 7 miles south of that, bow hunt public land in the Berry Creek/Wildwood area and have shot 3 deer with cross bow in last two years. At my house just south of IR I have had nice buck come through my yard in the daytime for two years and had to throw sticks at him to keep him out of my garden. I look out the window every night of the year and see deer in my backyard. In the fall the bucks fight each other in my yard which is in a small subdivision.

·
Banned
861 Posts
There are always exceptions but there are plenty of deer around. If you do your research you should find a great piece of hunting prop for next to nothing. A buddy of mine lives in Ossineke, nowhere close to hunt clubs, and passes up 100" bucks every year! QDM is starting to take off in a lot of areas though so just do some research
There actually are some hunt clubs very close to Ossineke that have embraced QDM. They're between Spruce Rd and US 23 and north and west of the town. I think one of them is called Trail's End.

·
Registered
937 Posts
There actually are some hunt clubs very close to Ossineke that have embraced QDM. They're between Spruce Rd and US 23 and north and west of the town. I think one of them is called Trail's End.
Yes, you are right there are some around, most being north and west of town. I was talking about the major hunt clubs, like turtle lake, consolidated, doctors club, and the hubbard lake trail, etc.. Its mostly the local private land owners that have adopted the QDM in this area and it shows at the buck pole. There is plenty of land for sale at great prices anywhere around.

·
Premium Member
9,515 Posts
..........very few bucks reach age 2. except within the clubs that have embraced QDM.
Don't really want to start an "across the road" pissing match but, I'll disagree with the statement above. There are quite a few bucks that surpass 2.5yrs.+ in this area. You just have to learn to hunt them. They got that old by being smarter than the hunters hunting them. All it takes, is people heading into the woods in the fall setting stands ect., and they're gone or completely nocturnal.
In this area, QDM (as some here would call it) actually works against the science for diease reduction/elimination.

To the OP.......... did ya make the deal yet??

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.