Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying some hunting land(for deer) and wanted to ask what some of you thought. Do I buy more acreage with a lesser cabin or none at all or less acreage with a better cabin. My budget is restricting me to get the acreage I would like plus a decent cabin. Northern mi area. I know there a lot of different factors that play into it. Just looking people's general opinion

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
My vote is more acreage w/out a cabin. You can always put a well, electric and a septic in that way you can park a camper or mobile home on the property and build a new home / cabin when your finances allow.

on the other hand - they're some good deals out there right now if you keep watching.

JMO

·
Registered
225 Posts
I vote for quality acreage!!! IMO 40 acres of good habitat(water bedding etc.) and soil is better then 80 acres of land that does not have this.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
As someone else said, quality of land is the most important part. I personally, would rather have more land and a so so cabin than a gorgeous cabin on a few acres.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Most hunters I know have never killed a buck in the cabin.

If you want hunting ground, get decent ground. It will take longer to make marginal ground good than it will to put up a cabin.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I vote for acreage.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
More land and make sure it's not connected to state land.
That's what I have for sale.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401201
I have done a lot of work on my land and it's paying off. I got me a small pick/up camper and put it in my pole barn (works for me). My wife don't go up there with me anymore so that's all I need to get away for a few days at a time. I hate to sale the land but I am retired now and money is tight. Maybe who ever buys it will let me come up now to take a look how the trees, food plots, pond, deer trails, hinge cutting turn out. Wish I would have saved more when I was working. :sad: It is what it is. Someone is going to get a nice piece of land. I will enjoy it until then. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That all depends on what the SEV is currently.
2 things to consider relating to taxes:
1- They will uncap to the assessed value, (different than the current taxable value)
2- They can be re-classified as mentioned. It can lose the ag or homestead exemption which will have a very significant effect on your taxes.
Neither has anything to do with the other. Talk to your assessor and know what you can expect your taxes to do.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
real nice cabin located close to or adjacent to state or federal land
:fish:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
For sure more acreage, as the fella above me stated the cabin can come later.
3+

Take your time and buy the right land first. You can always add whatever you want to it later on. And I would size up the neighbors very carefully.

NB

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
2 things to consider relating to taxes:
1- They will uncap to the assessed value, (different than the current taxable value)
2- They can be re-classified as mentioned. It can lose the ag or homestead exemption which will have a very significant effect on your taxes.
Neither has anything to do with the other. Talk to your assessor and know what you can expect your taxes to do.
1) true but, the uncapped assessed value cannot be higher than the current SEV which is the reason that I suggested to find out what the SEV is for a potential worse case scenario.

2) a reclassification can occur but, it is not based on what is tillable, it is based on what is tilled or can meet the criteria for agricultural ground.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts