Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im gonna buy some field deeks for mid/late season im running on about $500 for it and I have 1 dz Floaters I can use, Im thinking 1dz feeders and 1 dz FB Actives and a layout blind, do ya think i can pull it off? Just wanted some imput on the spread and how big it should it be for the budget. also im looking at a powerhunter for a blind maybe. plz help :(

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
with a $500 budget you might be pushing it...A good layout will be well over $100 and the amount of decoys you are thinking off will be cutting it close...It can be done on that budget, but you'll have to shop smart and settle for quantity not quality....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think it's going to run you more then $500.00 for decoys and blind that you are talking about. If it were me I would get a power hunter from Rogers Sporting Goods for $130.00 in shadow grass, then i would look at getting gearhead gear FFD lesser 6 uprights and 6 feeders, these work great they dont shine when the sun hits them, they have motion stakes,take up less room then the honkers and come with there own carry bag, again Roger's has theses for $170.00 per 6 with free shipping. Then I would get a flag. This will put you at the $500.00 mark. This will give you a great start where you can build from when you get extra money. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I agree w/the above, Go with quality over quantity. Nothing will ruin your hunt faster than poor quality decoys. However I'd go with the GHG FFD Lessers. I love these decoys for two reasons. 1) They move oh so nicely in just a slight breeze, much more so than the full size GHG's 2) They take up less storage space and are easier to carry out into the field. I've been using them for about 3 seasons now and I haven't noticed any difference between the lessers and the full size regarding effectiveness. Roger's had them for about $130/per 6. I'd do a dozen feeders and 6 uprights, that would leave you about $100 to pick up a used layout blind (check the classifieds). But if you want to buy a new blind, then just do 6 of each. You'll be surprised at how many birds you will kill with a dozen quality decoys.

Also, if Roger's still has them available, the Hardcore 6 packs for $100 is hard to beat. They're not fully flocked, but still great decoys. The power hunter is a good blind, I personally would spend a little more and get a Groundforce, but that's my preference.

·
Registered
329 Posts
All the above is good info. We have a couple dozen hard cores in our spread. Keep in mind: "feeding birds are happy birds."

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I think it's going to run you more then $500.00 for decoys and blind that you are talking about. If it were me I would get a power hunter from Rogers Sporting Goods for $130.00 in shadow grass, then i would look at getting gearhead gear FFD lesser 6 uprights and 6 feeders, these work great they dont shine when the sun hits them, they have motion stakes,take up less room then the honkers and come with there own carry bag, again Roger's has theses for $170.00 per 6 with free shipping. Then I would get a flag. This will put you at the $500.00 mark. This will give you a great start where you can build from when you get extra money. Hope this helps you out.

Like Dahmer said go to Rogers this place is great.

www.rogerssportinggoods.com

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
rogers seems to be the place.. they had hardcores for 200$ a dozen recently which is a steal for a dozen full bodies.

figuring in shipping, i would save a few more pennies and expect to spend about 600 if you can find the right deals.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Dang it you all beat me to the Rogers and Hardcore comments. You can get into two dozen HCs and a powerhunter or elimnator express for around 530.

Dont go for quantity. I as well as everyone has played that game and ya end up with a bunch of shells and silos you are never gunna use.

Them hardcores will kill as many geese as the other unflocked decoys from FA and Avery.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
What About FA FB lessers? are they as good as GHG FDDs? they are the same thing basicly only 70 bucks cheaper.
IMO we have reached a point with goose dekes where if you set out FA, Avery, Hardcore or Dakota decoys your gonna decoy and kill the same amount of geese. They all look fantastic.

The avery FFD is above their other lines and other mfgs decoys by the simple fact they are fully flocked. When the dew settles and the sun comes out their is no shine. Even on a sunny afternoon the flocking provides a always dull finish.

If I were you and didnt want to fork out the dough for FFDs, I would look in person at the Avery Pro series, Hardcores, Dakota and FA and base your purchase not only on looks, but durability, ease of setup etc etc

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I don't use a ground blind, I lay a camp air mattress out, cover up in burlap and scrape the native stuff to put on top. With gloves and face mask, I wax plenty of birds as I'm lower than a blind, lighter for pack in hunts, more mobile, more space in the truck. You would save $100 to $150 right there.
If you are hunting a lot of pack in hunts, get a pile of Outlaw silos.
If you can truck out the gear, or you have a pit, get good quality full bodies. I 'm not sure brand matters, as long as they're well manufactured. I personally don't use flocked heads as I don't want to have to baby them (mud, dirt), but they sure look good.

My 2 cents worth for the day~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.