Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guy's I am looking in the paper and there are several litters avalibale But then I stopped and thought . Should I buy from a kennel? also What do you look for in a pointer pup? I ave always got labs out of the paper and they all turned into fine hunting dogs but with a pointer I am a bit worried. I have read some horror storys of dogs that wont point and what not. Also I was wondering what shipping a pup would cost? Was one of you fine gentalmen had a good pup and I wanted to buy it from you. How in the heck would I get it here? also How much is reasonable to pay. The paper here is asking 400 to 500 for a pup. Is this fair? Labs are about 250. thanks Rich

Heath concerns, As I have said My experiance has been with Labss and they are prone to hip,eye,and ear problems. is this the same in the GWP?

Sheding, My wife wants me to ask how bad do they dogs shed compaired with a lab? My last Yellow lab shedded so bad it was nuts and that hollow hair wouldn't come out of the carpet.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
DO NOT buy one blind from a newspaper add. Do your homework and buy from a reputable breeder.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Start here: http://www.gwpca.com/

THis is the website for wires. I am sure there are very good breeders in your area.

GWP's rank #1 in all breeds with Autoimmune Thyroditis. If you want more information, go to the OFA web sight at www.offa.org

As far as shedding goes. THey do shed. But not bad at all. They do blow there coat twice a year and you have to pull their excess hair off. But there are a few tools that make this an easy job. I think they are called Mars king coat. Takes me about half hour or so to deal with hershey.

Almost forgot. WARNING! Their beard hold an extremely large aamount of water. So where ever their water bowl is, the surrounding area will get drenched pretty good.

As you also mentioned. Check the parents for OFA (hips), eyes... and all the other ussual suspects.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Definitely go through one of the GWP breed clubs. I don't know a single reputable Vizsla breeder that advertises in the paper.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
A reputable breeder doesnt need to advertise in the paper. Most breeders that are doing it right have the dogs sold before they are even born or shortly there after.

It does not go just for pointing dogs it is labs, spaniels and every other kind of hunting dog. You get what you pay for! Find a good reputable breeder that is breeding dogs that will fit you and your lifestyle. Sometimes to get the right dog for you no matter what the breed you have to pay more than you would like, but break that thousand dollars down for the pup over the twelve years of its life and countless days of enjoyment in the field and it is a small price to pay.

Do your research and you will be happy.
Ric

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
:yeahthat:
A reputable breeder doesnt need to advertise in the paper. Most breeders that are doing it right have the dogs sold before they are even born or shortly there after.

·
Registered
659 Posts
All good advice, find a reputable breeder. Expect $200-$250 for shipping via the airlines. Most breeders are familar with shipping dogs. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try this site also. The Deutch Drahthaars are virtually guaranteed of being hunters, due to the testing program that the dogs go through before they are able to be bred.
www.vdd-gna.org, there is a link there for puppies as well as dogs for sale.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Rich,
There are some good breeders out that way. Cascade Kennels is in the Portland area, Ray & Lynn Calkins. They have had a number of dual champions. I think they concentrate on field dogs now.His contact info is on G.W.P.C.A site. He is their West Coast contact. At any rate he should be able to give you some good info for your area. I have a grandson of their DC Cascade Ike.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Wire's. Awesome dogs. Pick up your ducks in the morning, point your grouse in the afternoon, lay by the wood stove at night. I was worried about aggression towards other dogs when I got mine but she hasn't been bad in that way at all. All good advice above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts