Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
I personally know 3 people that have it and all 3 of their rod tips broke and only one was while fishing. Wish I never wasted the $89.
If only 1 of 3 people broke their rod tip while fishing, how did the other 2 people break theirs? Lots of people treat fishing rods like crap, and break them regularly. If you take care of rods, they last a long time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If only 1 of 3 people broke their rod tip while fishing, how did the other 2 people break theirs? Lots of people treat fishing rods like crap, and break them regularly. If you take care of rods, they last a long time.
One was broke while being pulled outta the rod storage of the boat and the other was while the person was tying off a jig head. If a $10 Walmart pole can handle a jig head being tied off or coming outta rod storage then you would think a $89 pole would.

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
I had a beautiful Loomis IMX rod, built for spinning on a flyrod blank, break once. I was attaching my hook to the lowest guide before pulling anchor and changing location. I am pretty expert at leaving exactly the amount of line hanging to attach that hook, having done it 10's of thousands of times. The top half of the rod blew with almost no pressure on it - although any pressure would have been straight down along the line of the blank, since that is where the line was laying. I figured I must have knicked it somehow. 9 1/2 foot 6 weight rod, and it was my favorite rod to fight Steelhead to about 9# with. I haven't replaced it. I never considered trying to warrant it, as it was a custom build, not a factory rod. It was my "All American Whuppin Stick," and I had it tied @ red, white, and blue.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have fished with St. Croix eyecons for several years. I think I own 8 or 9 of them at this point. I broke the tip off two of them due to operator error. I just took wire cutters and cut them above the next eyelet and still use them. Quality rod and zero complaints or need for warranty (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I have loved every Lightning rod I have owned, still using 2 older ones, great rods for the $....and use a few St. Croix Premier's as well, their customer service has been A+ for me....I think it's a little hard on companies, just seems like it would be.....a tiny nick thru your own action, gives that rod a weak point, and you might not even be aware it happened....

But/and some people are not honest and as was stated, a lot of people treat rods like crap....it just happens !....they get dropped going for a net, etc. etc....hard to know if it was a factory defect or just from being "used" a lot of times....

Ugly sticks are tanks, lol....but not the most sensitive, I use one now after I broke a St. Croix a couple years ago....and getting another St. Croix soon, lol....customer service is everything, I think a lot is, it's just the people they employ anymore, even upper management everywhere I have worked just keeps going down hill, imo too....

95% of the rods I've broke were just my fault !....and if you get a rod off a rack, forget it ! lol....when Stanley thermos 1st went to china, I got a bad one, they were going to send me a free one, I said keep it, I'll never buy another Stanley product again & they don't even care....

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think you should take the idea from @butter13!! I'll come break the other one for ya.

Having watched the rod in question break, and seeing how @magnumhntr takes care of his stuff, this was 100% on the manufacturer.

I've had nothing but good luck sending rods (factory and custom) back to Loomis, Croix, and Sage and always had a good experiences.

Guess I will stick to buying from reputable sources down the road.

Reactions: pjd

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Wow some of you guys are tough on rods. I broke one in my life while casting for smallmouth. Set the hook into a rock... snap.. that said where the break occured was a chip missing in the rod.

Now my dad broke more than a few and all from his errors....dropped a cannon ball on a St. Broke 2 rod tips because he reels Dipseys and jets to the eye, then bends them 180 degrees so he can reach them.2 broken rods and 25 years of me bitching and he still does it.

St. Croix replaced all 3. One on thier dime. The other two I upgraded and paid like 50%. That said these St croix are super old and I got them from a retiring Charter...

Far as the high end jigging/steelie rods,,, Ill build my own. Blanks carry the warrenty....

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I’ve been using the lamiglas jigging rods for 3 years exclusively, and have had them in some comprising situations, and have never had one break/snap. As far as customer services goes, I will try to discuss this topic with them, when I make my next rod order. You have to keep your customers happy, period. They have a great opportunity here in this area, making rods specific for jigging our waters, I would hate to see them damage they’re reputation in this area, because they do make a nice rod.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
That and Berkeley Lighting Rod!
I had an 8'6" "salmon / steelhead" Lightning Rod that became my favorite pike and light musky rod until it slipped out of my hand when I was taking it out of the rear rod holder while speed trolling. It's probably still sitting somewhere and Anchor Bay near Selfridge. Got it on sale for something ridiculous like $39. As luck would have it, they were evidently revamping the line right at that time, because I couldn't find another one anywhere, so I replaced it with a similar Eagle Claw rod that is OK, but not as sensitive. I could really feel the vibration of the lure on the end of that Lightning Rod.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
I never liked those hammer rods
I found them to be a really good value. Of course I bought on the big sale last year when I got 4 of them for $150, so almost Berkeley Lightening prices. They all got a lot of use this year. At one point I had six different jigging sticks all rigged with different colors. I do wish I had bought 4 of the 5’8” ones instead of 2 of those and 2 of the 6’3” rods. The longer ones are true MH Detroit River actions, but the shorter ones are more of a medium action that work better or me on the smaller fish in the SCR. One of each length held up to big sturgeon battles and boat flipped plenty of walleye.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
I have fished with St. Croix eyecons for several years. I think I own 8 or 9 of them at this point. I broke the tip off two of them due to operator error. I just took wire cutters and cut them above the next eyelet and still use them. Quality rod and zero complaints or need for warranty (fingers crossed).
The handle on those eyecons is the most comfortable one out there today. Love my eyecon slip bobber rods. If they had shorter jigging ones, I’d probably have some of them too.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts