Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, spent the day hunting with my buddy with our muzzleloaders. Private property. About 8am about 20 deer come charging in from the east. No shots I wanted provided. Then about an hour later I see movement along the edge of the property. I am about 100 yds from the property line. Check it out with my binocs and see the neighbor walking right down the line coming from the ease. Definitely explains the deer. I figure maybe he'll push more back my way and go back to glassing the woods to the west of me. Eventually, I pan back to the property line and find myself looking down the barrel of this @##HOLE's muzzleloader. :yikes: So I walk out to him, say hi and ask if he can do me a favor in the future. He says What? Refrain from pointing a loaded weapon at me while I'm hunting. His first response is that he didn't do any such thing. When I tell him I saw him, he says how do you know, like he expects me to say I saw him through my scope. I point to the binocs around my neck. Then, he goes on to say that I should have some sort of orange on my blind so he could see me!! He's on the property line, no reason for his gun to be even pointed in that general direction, let alone directly at me to see if I'm in my blind! :bash: (I was wearing a full orange vest that is visible from outside the blind) At that point, I was too pissed to trust myself, so I went back to my blind and he continued onward.

Folks, if you depend on our scope to glass for deer as you are hunting, please do everyone a favor and buy a pair of binoculars, even a cheap pair. I've never heard of a pair of binoculars "accidentally" killing another person. Having made the guy aware of my feelings regarding his use of the scope, if it happens again, I will be reporting to the police and pressing charges for brandishing a weapon.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Amen!!!!
Scopes are for making an accurate shot on game, not identifying potential targets!!! Unfortunately, lots of dolts practice this procedure.
Bino's are one if not the most important equipment a hunter can take in the field. They are simply invaluable, yet some still think they don't need them.

·
Registered
815 Posts
This is the exact reason why I stopped hunting with a friend of my fathers. He would not carry bino's and I saw him "scope" my dad while he was standing at the cars. :rant:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i don't hunt with binocs usually. but thats because i usually hunt back in a swamp where you cant see anymore than 30 yards around you. so does that make me a yahoo?? i don't think so. if i'm hunting a field edge i carry them with me though.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
FISH said:
i don't hunt with binocs usually. but thats because i usually hunt back in a swamp where you cant see anymore than 30 yards around you. so does that make me a yahoo?? i don't think so. if i'm hunting a field edge i carry them with me though.

Most of my hunting is in the swamp as well.....take your bino's with you. I guarantee your missing deer. They might not offer a shot etc, but your missing deer non the less. Deer in swamps are ghost like, no noise and you never see the whole animal. Bino's have helped me pick out ears, hoofs, antler tips etc on deer that would have been all but impossible to see without bino's. And moer importantly, they have helped me pick up deer long before they are in any of my small shooting "windows"....if you don't catch them before they enter your lanes, you have little chance at getting off a shot. Bino's have helped me to be ready before hand, and more importantly in my case, wether or not it is an animal I'm interested in taking.

It still amazes me that some folks think Binos are only necessary for hunting out west, but that mentality still exists.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Howitzer said:
yes you are correct. I take guns being pointed at me personally.

Excatly. If that happened to me we might have fight night in the corn field

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
weatherby said:
Excatly. If that happened to me we might have fight night in the corn field
I was awfully close, especially when the guy started to blame me for not having orange on my blind. I've mellowed a bit with age, but if it happens again, he is going to have serious problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.