Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Live from Burt lake state park .. Not much action out here , definitely no machines .. Looks like some shanties on the north end now that weren’t there an hour ago when I checked at hoppies . It may be happening guys . I’ll check how much ice on mullett in Topinabee tomorrow , I did see that he has his shack back out there today . 3-5 inches of ice near the state park , depending where you check . Definitely some thin spots that are less
Thanks for the report TT! Looking forward to your Mullett report later today!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got a warning from a friend that was walking Burt to stay far away from the river heads, open water then only an inch for a couple hundred yards out.
This is quite normal. Even when trucks are driving around on the ice, people should know where the river inlets are. Especially in the dark.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is quite normal. Even when trucks are driving around on the ice, people should know where the river inlets are. Especially in the dark.
I killed the jumbos in 4 fow only 30 yards off the crooked river last February and there had to be a foot of ice so it does get safe, just not today.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I agree, pretty basic stuff. However, some people ain't aware of there surroundings well enough to navigate a Walmart parking lot without incident let alone turning them loose in the dark when it's snowing and blowing on a 17,000 acre lake. Never hurts to remind guys to come prepared, spud often and know where the hell you're at.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Last time I was there last year it was prolly 12-15” of ice and was just slush in front of the sturgeon river that went out a ways. I always mark where I launched and a safe route back. Those blizzards will get you if you only go by what you can see.I love the helix for this it tracks my route the entire day while it’s on. Last time my buddy thought the launch was in the other side of the river and would have drove right into open water if I wasn’t 100% sure where we actually had to go.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree, pretty basic stuff. However, some people ain't aware of there surroundings well enough to navigate a Walmart parking lot without incident let alone turning them loose in the dark when it's snowing and blowing on a 17,000 acre lake. Never hurts to remind guys to come prepared, spud often and know where the hell you're at.
Agreed. Great reminder. My comment was more of a strong agreement as well as be aware of where you are at, especially in the dark... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it completely locked up?
If someone has a link to the thread where the guy fell through and was rescued from Burt near sturgeon river it’s a good read.. I’ll try to find it . Too many people see guys on the ice or read reports online and take it to be fact . I’m still wearing a life jacket when I go out to check ice. About 3 or so inches on east side of Burt but getting soft and slushy from this near 40 degree day.. no fishermen while I was there . The shore ice was so bad on Mullett I couldn’t get out to check the rest . Can see open water 200 yards out :/ 5E25D36E-536B-41AE-89C5-5FCFB9205B25.jpeg A620989B-581D-43D7-9043-E8DD1B46BE73.jpeg

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Give it a week. Just recon'd both. Mullet looks sketchy at best Mullet has activity but 3 to 6 inches is being reported

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Why do people assume that the ice will be a certain thickness based on what the date is on calendar.
In my experience it’s the “I know a guy that knows a guy that went out and it was 6” thick” scenario. That guy uses the same tape measure on his junk that he uses for measuring ice. That 6” is more like 3”. That kind of reporting almost got me killed in December. I’m glad I took the time to spud my way out instead of taking it at face value.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
In my experience it’s the “I know a guy that knows a guy that went out and it was 6” thick” scenario. That guy uses the same tape measure on his junk that he uses for measuring ice. That 6” is more like 3”. That kind of reporting almost got me killed in December. I’m glad I took the time to spud my way out instead of taking it at face value.
Yep, they also usually catch a pile of 13 inch gills and 15 in rock bass.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Give it a week. Just recon'd both. Mullet looks sketchy at best Mullet has activity but 3 to 6 inches is being reported

I meant Burt has activity, not mullet

61 - 80 of 132 Posts