Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any good on Burt lately for walleye?
Is this lake fishable from a smaller boat like a 15ft? It looks like it could get nasty on a big lake as Burt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have not been up there yet so no help.if you do get out let us know how you did

Do a search I believe ther has been some recent reports

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm leaving next Saturday for a week up north I may fish Burt for a day. Looks like a great fishery I have never been on the lake. But if I get up there and catch a few I'll let you know slabeye

·
Registered
130 Posts
We did well a week ago when I left. It's fishable in a 15' boat but you will have to pick your days and watch the weather. I used to do it in my 14' aluminum. The only other consideration with a 15' is speed. Burt is huge and depending on how fast your boat goes it may take a while to get to the "good" spots. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I'm going tomorrow and will be there next week. Burt can get pretty rough but if you launch in Maple Bay you can usually fish over in front of the crooked river and along the west side of the lake.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Was up to Burt Lake May 25th-June 2nd. stayed at the state park campground at south end. Usually traveled to Maple Bay daily and had excellent walleye fishing in 12-'14' of water in the bay itself. You should not have a problem in the bay, watch the wind. Good Luck, might be in the middle of the mayfly hatch then fishing might be very slow....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Worked hard at is on Burt today. Ended up with 4 eyes on about 7 hours. North end and Maple bay. Anyone else out there have any luck today?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yep pulling harnesses and crawlers. Did airflow better tonight. Put 5 in the boat, white harnesses with red bead seemed to be best. 20-23' of water.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mike, wife and I fished Maple Bay for a week only using Nothland's Gum Drop Floater's with a stinger hook (was a must then) in colors Firetiger and Crawdad either with a leech or baby nightcrawler, 3-4' lead behind 3/4-1 oz. bottom bouncer at speeds .8-1.2 mph. Had limits usually by 9 a.m. or so. All fish at that time were in12-14' fow. The Gum Drop Floaters with stinger hooks can be purchased at Young's in Alanson. Good Luck.....

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Gene,glad to hear that you and wife got into some eyes. If you don't remember me I was camped behind you at the state park. Alan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agree with previous comments. Mayfly hatch here has really made things tough. Managed 5 today slow trolling harnesses in maple bay but really had to work for them.

Did manage to take a nice 20"ear with a jaw tag. Looking forward to sending the info in and hearing the history of this beautiful fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts