Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well no ice, but not too far away as Maple Bay and Bullhead Bay were 34.2-34.8 degrees. SE wind with building winds thru the evening made for extreme fishing. First off, it's 4:30 pm., I'm by myself in a 14' boat and winds are in the neighborhood of 10-15 m.ph. with gust near 25. Took a ride over to Bullhead Bay and didn't have much luck pulling reef runners and thundersticks. Continued my troll into Maple Bay but switched over to an HJ-12 and HJ-14 in firetiger. Just in front of the mouth of the Maple River, the planer board took off backwards. After a little scrap, I netted a nice male brown that weighed in at 5.0 lbs. (digital scale). Didn't put a tape on him as I wanted to snap a couple photos before I released him. He was in pretty rough shape as his tail was beat to heck and his belly was all scratched. He also had a possible lamprey scar near one of his back fins. Much different looking than the normal silver browns I am used to catching out there. Also, I honestly have never caught a brown with a turned up bottom lip like this fish either. I figure it was a river run fish, but maybe someone can shed some light on this. About 20 minutes later landed a nice 21" 3.5 lbs walleye....that will be lightly seasoned and pan fried Friday evening. This fish also came on my planer board. After taking two waves over the side just a bit later, I called it a night. Tomorrow, I change gears and start getting the ice fishing stuff ready for next weekend???????? Could we be so lucky????? Here's a shot of the brown.

Tight Lines

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Well the only explanation I could give of the scratched up belly would be from spawning and teritorial battles.As for the turned up snout it could just be a deformity.Nice that you caught fish even under such extreme conditions.Except for pictures I have seen a brown up close since the spring.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice river fish. The exaggerated kipe on the lower jaw is typical of the male browns when they get larger.

Now, put that boat away, Dave. We'll be standing on Crooked jigging in about 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Probably a spawner, if you look at kings after they have been on gravel for a while their bellies get pretty beat up. And the kipe is normal for male browns in the fall.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fellas. Prepping the boat today and dragging it to storage this afternoon. It's too bad I can't get another week out of this weather. Tight Lines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts