Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the DNR keep Maple Bay and State Park accesses plowed during the winter for ice fishing? Is there any public access on the east side of the lake near Chippewa Beach to park truck and trailer? Any help is deeply appreciated. Trying to plan for a February trip.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
yes they are plowed and there is a access near chipewa beach but only room for couple cars most just park on road side and walk or drive out on ice and unload
There was a lot of trash left last year so a lot of the people living around their were not happy. My parents being a couple of them. It’s a beautiful lake, guys please try to keep it that way.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
There was a lot of trash left last year so a lot of the people living around their were not happy. My parents being a couple of them. It’s a beautiful lake, guys please try to keep it that way.
Totally understand their frustration. I have a place on a inland lake that seems to get worse every year. Many locals don't like the outside crowd for that exact reason.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
From what I witnessed and I know exactly where U of M is talking about, it's not out of towners leaving the litter, that spot is almost all local.
Regardless, pick up after yourself it's not that hard.

Like locals are all angels to be so upset about non-locals....lol
May be the case at Burt. In my case its hardly fished by locals thru the ice. Agree, you brought it, you take it!!

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
May be the case at Burt. In my case its hardly fished by locals thru the ice. Agree, you brought it, you take it!!
People living near public accesses and road endings have to really see some crap, I can see why they're so edgey.
Last winter was my first for utilizing popular access spots in the off-season and for the amount that they pay in property taxes, no way would I want to live by one, especially year round.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Totally understand their frustration. I have a place on a inland lake that seems to get worse every year. Many locals don't like the outside crowd for that exact reason.
I pick up a lot of McDonald's bags and plastic cups after the weekend's. Don't seem to happen during the weekdays. Apparently mom and dad didn't make them pick up every piece of trash and cigarettes when they went camping or backpacking like I did with my kids. They still pick it up

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
People living near public accesses and road endings have to really see some crap, I can see why they're so edgey.
Last winter was my first for utilizing popular access spots in the off-season and for the amount that they pay in property taxes, no way would I want to live by one, especially year round.
Yep. I didn’t mention this to insinuate that anybody on this site are those type of people. But there are a lot of lurkers. I just know that when the snow melted the area looked trashed.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Yep. I didn’t mention this to insinuate that anybody on this site are those type of people. But there are a lot of lurkers. I just know that when the snow melted the area looked trashed.
I understand, I was just surprised by the small city that is created on the lake and how closely packed they are in that area, and how everyone seemed to know one another, hooting and hollering and carrying on.
I could only imagine the amount of trash left on the ice.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Does the DNR keep Maple Bay and State Park accesses plowed during the winter for ice fishing? Is there any public access on the east side of the lake near Chippewa Beach to park truck and trailer? Any help is deeply appreciated. Trying to plan for a February trip.
Other than the spot already mentioned there is the launch up by hoppies on the east side.

·
Registered
589 Posts
look
looks like another Spot wll be bitting the dust, pickup your dam trash where you park,Thats the way it was when you drove in, if not and see some pick it up save our Access Points...

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I just did not see at any trash all last year, I'm not saying it didn't happen and I do understand how it can be, but my bigger gripe if I lived around those access points would be the groups of sledders with 20 foot trailers parking up and down the road along with the accompanying uproar associated with it.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I just did not see at any trash all last year, I'm not saying it didn't happen and I do understand how it can be, but my bigger gripe if I lived around those access points would be the groups of sledders with 20 foot trailers parking up and down the road along with the accompanying uproar associated with it.
My Dad just called me. He seen two guys with spuds walking in and they were way past the drop off. And now there is a shanty right off the point to the left of his house.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
My Dad just called me. He seen two guys with spuds walking in and they were way past the drop off. And now there is a shanty right off the point to the left of his house.
I'm rigged and ready, but Pickeral lake looked so bad this past weekend that it cooled my jets some to get out.

Thanks for the info I was getting curious about that area, I had good luck around there.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
By the way, I just measured it on Navionics and from the point on land which shall stay nameless to the drop is 2 tenths of a mile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts