Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I, who are from Ohio, want to try fishing for Bass, Perch, Pike, and Walleye in July. Would appreciate your suggestions for a destination lake somewhere in the LP. So what are your favorite lakes, and why? In the past, we have used in-line weights to fish for walleye in deeper lakes, but may need to try using boards or Dipsy's. Any suggestions regarding possible destinations would be appreciated. Thanks to all in advance...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the inland lakes in the lower peninsula are closed and under quarantine due to an outbreak of Monkeypox. You're better off staying in Ohio... :sneaky:
Can you post a link to a news article about this dire situation in MI? I understand that monkeypox is spread thru sex between males. Are you just jerking my chain because I'm from Ohio:)

·
Super Moderator
7,294 Posts
Can you post a link to a news article about this dire situation in MI? I understand that monkeypox is spread thru sex between males. Are you just jerking my chain because I'm from Ohio:)

Yes. Although 'jerking your chain' might not be the best turn of phrase to use.

I'm just messing with you because you're from Ohio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Although 'jerking your chain' might not be the best turn of phrase to use.

I'm just messing with you because you're from Ohio.
That's ok, I enjoy the opportunity to exchange pleasantries and brag about football:cool: Of course, i'd rather be finding a nice place to fish for smallies...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you wait till later in the fall the smallmouth fishing can be outstanding. You have the opportunity to catch all species and a smallmouth of a lifetime.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
If you want to catch all of those fish in the heat of summer, I'd suggest fishing the NW side of Drummond Island. It's not the LP, but it's less than 2 hours farther than Burt & Mullet. Tons of smallmouth, easy to catch walleye early & late in the day, plus pike and perch. Much of it fishes like an inland lake.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
lol
If you wait till later in the fall the smallmouth fishing can be outstanding. You have the opportunity to catch all species and a smallmouth of a lifetime.
Good advice. Summertime on either of those lakes is a tough bite. Especially for first timers. Mid sept they November is the best bite on those two bodies. Springtime is also. BTW...Every year when I head down to SE Ohio on a deer hunt, why do I get flipped off ? Is it because I'm from Michigan and Ohioans hate Michiganders ? Must be a football thing. I was told that was probably the case when I asked a lady pumping gas at a gas station. It didn't help when on my way home from that deer hunt I wrote on my dirty tailgate "Ohio State Sucks". I prefer it much better when they have a reason to hate me. Particularly when I don't really even follow football.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responces, guys. I know the summer bite is not great, its the same everywhere. In Lakes I normally try to do some jigging on deep flats, and pull some in-line weighted crank baits or leeches/worms on bladed harnesses, and a little night fishing on drop offs close to weed beds or points. I've been looking at the Drummond Island/St Mary's River area but have no experience fishing river systems. What's the water like up there (depths/temps/current) and what techniques do you use? Lots of Islands out there. Looks like the chop could get pretty high if the wind comes up, but probably not as bad as Lake Erie can be. Can you recommend any resorts/cabins near Drummond Island?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for the responces, guys. I know the summer bite is not great, its the same everywhere. In Lakes I normally try to do some jigging on deep flats, and pull some in-line weighted crank baits or leeches/worms on bladed harnesses, and a little night fishing on drop offs close to weed beds or points. I've been looking at the Drummond Island/St Mary's River area but have no experience fishing river systems. What's the water like up there (depths/temps/current) and what techniques do you use? Lots of Islands out there. Looks like the chop could get pretty high if the wind comes up, but probably not as bad as Lake Erie can be. Can you recommend any resorts/cabins near Drummond Island?
Hit the sunken island areas if looking for smallies on Mullet. Near the NW shoreline.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to catch all of those fish in the heat of summer, I'd suggest fishing the NW side of Drummond Island. It's not the LP, but it's less than 2 hours farther than Burt & Mullet. Tons of smallmouth, easy to catch walleye early & late in the day, plus pike and perch. Much of it fishes like an inland lake.
Hi Piketroller, are you refering to the Reynolds Bay area of Drummond Island? If so, have any suggestions on where to stay?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you are right, but my brother and I usually head down to Cherokee Lake in Tennessee for some fall striper fishing. Nothing like getting an 8-12Lb striper on a light pole:) My brother and catch and release bass and stripers, and Fall and Spring are the only times you can catch them without killing them on the way up. May have to try to convince my brother to go south this spring for stripers, and north to michigan in the fall for bass.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for the information, can you suggest a decent place to stay on Mullett Lake?
Not on the lake I can't. I know they rent cabins on it but no personal experience. Many locations on the Indian river water way tho that rent cabins. I've spent many nights in some of them. All pretty much great places. Try the Landings resort. It's between Burt and Mullet. They offer 1,2 and 3 bedroom cabins.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
Hi Piketroller, are you refering to the Reynolds Bay area of Drummond Island? If so, have any suggestions on where to stay?
Never hears of Reynolds Bay. There are lots of resorts on the NW shore of the island around Potagannissing Bay and Maxton Bay area. If you don't need a dock and want trailer every day, there are plenty of other lodging options up there. Papins is the biggest camp up there, but you'll probably have to get lucky with a cancelation if you want to stay there. Seems most places book up 6 to 12 months out, so just start making phone calls until a place says they have a cabin open.

If you draw a line from Bruce Point down to Harbor Island, the water east of that line fishes more line an inland lake with softer bottoms. West of that line, the bottom is rockier and a bit colder. I haven't been down in the Sturgeon Bay/Pigeon Cove area to get a read on what the bottom is like there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good advice. Summertime on either of those lakes is a tough bite. Especially for first timers. Mid sept they November is the best bite on those two bodies. Springtime is also. BTW...Every year when I head down to SE Ohio on a deer hunt, why do I get flipped off ? Is it because I'm from Michigan and Ohioans hate Michiganders ? Must be a football thing. I was told that was probably the case when I asked a lady pumping gas at a gas station. It didn't help when on my way home from that deer hunt I wrote on my dirty tailgate "Ohio State Sucks". I prefer it much better when they have a reason to hate me. Particularly when I don't really even follow football.
Like your style, LGB, I love college football, but don't get into the hate game. Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State have always had great football programs, and games between them have always been "nail biters". South Eastern Ohio is a great place to deer hunt, and I'm glad you come down to help keep the population in check.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Burt /mullet is more than tough in mid summer for smallies. There have been big tournies up there where over half the field zeroed. Charlevoix. Elk. The bays. Alpena area all much better that time of year.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I live close to mullet and burt, the fishery is inconsistent in July imo. Close proximity to i-75 and ringed with "cottages" the lakes get hit pretty hard in the summer. By all means come up and spend some money but don't expect canada like fishing. Living here 20+ years you only here of limits of fish occasionally, usually in the spring. Catching 1-2 walleye in a day is the average.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I live close to mullet and burt, the fishery is inconsistent in July imo. Close proximity to i-75 and ringed with "cottages" the lakes get hit pretty hard in the summer. By all means come up and spend some money but don't expect canada like fishing. Living here 20+ years you only here of limits of fish occasionally, usually in the spring. Catching 1-2 walleye in a day is the average.

We're coming up to Burt lake state park July 8th for a week for the first time ever and plan on fishing a lot. I'll take one or two walleye a day, but was hoping for more. We would also would like to run into some perch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts