Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife and i are taking a trip up to indian river 1st week in august, we are renting a pontoon for the day and i would like to try to get her on some fish. i've never fished either of those lakes before so i was hoping you all might have some advice for me on where to go, what to try, etc. we're open to fishing for anything, bass, panfish, walleye, pike, i dont need gps coordinates or anything and we plan on catch and release. appreciate anything at all, thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
put burt lake in the search bar..plenty written here thru the years about burt/mullett...or channel up you tube and check out kevin van dam fishing burt.....its pretty water regardless of the fishing

·
Registered
115 Posts
been fishing mullet from red pine point to needle point was in about 15’ of water, the fish have moved to deeper water, 21’ to 24’, lots of perch, walleye, panfish and small mouth bass, just passed the tip of round point toward jewell road boat launch. around 21’. usually catch small mouth, pike, perch and some walleye out from the library in Topinabee. out from red pine point, steelhead are caught trolling spoons. end of July till middle of August. On burt lake perch and walleye are caught around maple bay and up to maple river, and some walleye around sturgeon bay, if you pay attention to where the guys are fishing it will give you a good idea.
A little suggestion go on the charter boat from Cheboygan right now till the end of August lake trout and salmon are being caught at record levels. Walleye, perch and small mouth are being caught but kind of hit and miss, you will catch some, walleye mostly on crawler harnesses, perch smallmouth on jigs early morning and just before dark.
I’ll try to give you an update by the end of July, maybe I can be more helpful. these are beautiful clear lake I’m sure you will have a good time regardless, be safe!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
been fishing mullet from red pine point to needle point was in about 15’ of water, the fish have moved to deeper water, 21’ to 24’, lots of perch, walleye, panfish and small mouth bass, just passed the tip of round point toward jewell road boat launch. around 21’. usually catch small mouth, pike, perch and some walleye out from the library in Topinabee. out from red pine point, steelhead are caught trolling spoons. end of July till middle of August. On burt lake perch and walleye are caught around maple bay and up to maple river, and some walleye around sturgeon bay, if you pay attention to where the guys are fishing it will give you a good idea.
A little suggestion go on the charter boat from Cheboygan right now till the end of August lake trout and salmon are being caught at record levels. Walleye, perch and small mouth are being caught but kind of hit and miss, you will catch some, walleye mostly on crawler harnesses, perch smallmouth on jigs early morning and just before dark.
I’ll try to give you an update by the end of July, maybe I can be more helpful. these are beautiful clear lake I’m sure you will have a good time regardless, be safe!
Do you know if a thermocline has set up on Mullet yet?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks I will check it out Saturday afternoon when I get up there.
good luck, we are going out tomorrow for lake trout and salmon, heard they were still catching them on the north and south end of Bois Blanc near spectacle reef, then maybe back to mullet for some walleye, will check thermocline then, maybe I can give you an update.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would drift fish the west side of mullet lake, from dodge point, to needle point, or check out the sand bars down the west side of the lake on Monday, looks like Tuesday is good for fishing the big lakes for lake trout and salmon, I saw boats trolling in 110 - 140’ off south end of Bois Blanc and also trolling 25’ - 60’, watch out for the nets they are marked with a red flag, good luck, caught 1 small lake trout in 120’

·
Registered
809 Posts
How is the lake with this wind? We came up for a fishing trip and the weather is keeping us off the big water, was thinking about heading to Mullet for a day trip.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
The wind is ok today, but I suspect it’s ok on Burt too. It was tough yesterday but doable as long as you trolled downwind. I went out by myself but I would recommend 2 guys in the boat in that kind of wind. Not the worst wind, but it can push the boat around. Not sure what nam was talking about with the drifting. Dodge Point is on the west side and Needle point is on the east. You could make that drift with a NW wind but you would be going over some very deep water through a portion of the drift. You would be better off isolating your trolling or drifting just around the sunken islands or from the most southerly sunken island to Needle Point depending on the wind. The sandbars on the West side were producing earlier but action has been slow on those lately. That being said, you would probably be better off just staying on Burt. The walleye population is much higher there. I used to have a place on Burt and now I’m on Mullett. It’s well known among the lake organizations and DNR that Burt has a higher, more stable walleye population than Mullett. Good luck. I’d start looking for suspended fish there or use a bottom bouncer and try to pick up a few right on bottom.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wind was forecasted for nw at 10-12 mph just right for drifting with crawler harness, or what ever you like, if you go on the east side of the sunken islands water depth ranges from 10-25’ all the way from dodge point to needle point. I agree Burt lake has more Walleye, Mullet has bigger ones, both lake are the best lakes even if you catch nothing. You might want to try the bay between round point to Jewell road boat launch,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any fresh reports on the bite for Mullet Lk? I am will be camping at Aloha for a week this Sunday. I am not looking for anyone’s numbers or secret spots, just how the fishing has been. I will be targeting walleye and maybe perch. Hopefully the cooler temps forecasted will help the bite. Thanx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
115 Posts
on Mullet the walleye are hitting after dark in 40’ depth, mostly crawler harnesses, most boats are by round point, but a few are fishing west of the sunken islands, which are straight out from Aloha state park, and run to dodge point. I don’t see many fishing for perch or crappies. a few bass fisherman. I fished Burt lake picked up 3 15”, 18” and 21”. yesterday found nothing. did not try after dark. A few boats fishing from Sturgeon bay to the north end of the lake.
Good Luck, enjoy the lakes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
was on the water at 5:30, I used my down riggers fished with red blade spinners and gold aurora beads crawler harness, seemed to be the only colors they would hit, caught 2 16” and 9”, ran from 33’ - 39’ caught these at 36’. will have to go back tonight for at least one more for dinner. lots of boats fishing they started at approximately 25’

1 - 20 of 48 Posts