Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to pay for propane. anyone start burning wood yet? I lit a fire last night because it was suppose to drop in the 40's and I was tired of the furnace kicking on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I hate to pay for propane. anyone start burning wood yet? I lit a fire last night because it was suppose to drop in the 40's and I was tired of the furnace kicking on.
Yes I lit my boiler a few weeks ago.
For a couple of reasons- running out of propane. And banging hot water heater when using propane.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
YES!!!!! My fireplace is supplemental / evenings only but I've been having fires 3-5 evenings per week for 4-6 weeks now. Even when it's been warm lately when that sun goes down it gets chilly (especially when I have windows open:)). As an example, I'll be sitting in front of a big fire watching the Tigers tonight! (just like last night)

Burn baby burn!:coolgleam

That reminds me ......... I gotta get out and cut some wood!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
burning again tonight. I love feeling warm instead of cold and chilly. Wood heats twice!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm with you, I hate burning propane and hate when I hear the furnace kick on. As long as it stays cool, we will be feeding the insert. (Avalon 1190)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I haven't burned in the stove yet but have had a lot of camp fires outside in the yard. I hate to hear that Furnace come on but would be way more concerned if it didn't!:evilsmile

Fred

·
Premium Member
16,141 Posts
Fired up the outside boiler back in September. I love free heat.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't burned in the stove yet but have had a lot of camp fires outside in the yard. I hate to hear that Furnace come on but would be way more concerned if it didn't!:evilsmile

Fred
you got that right!

·
Registered
158 Posts
free heat?
nothings free. boiler, chain saw,oil, gas, poison ivy doc bills, aches & pain,.....................
unless you work for a landscape company and get paid to cut all the wood and delivered to your house while getting paid for it...

·
Registered
310 Posts
free heat?
nothings free. boiler, chain saw,oil, gas, poison ivy doc bills, aches & pain,.....................
Yes it's not really free. But I actually love gathering my wood. Something I was unable to do this year.
So I actual do have some free wood, for me.
My Church and friends have brought me
My wood.
I'd much rather be doing - giving than receiving. But I'm very thankful for the wood and that I'm able to load my boiler.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Have my first wood stove, but lacking the funds to buy everything to hook it up almost their can't wait to cut that propane bill to next to nothing !

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
39 deg out right now but a wonderful 75 deg in here with wood burning. Been burning all day today. Wife is complaining it's too hot, but I like it warm and it only is about 10 sticks of wood. Beats the hell out of burning propane all day and only being 65 deg.

·
Premium Member
16,141 Posts
Your right. I love heating my house for less than 50 bucks a year now that my boiler has paid for itself in propane bills.
Every time i see downed trees pallets and sawmill scrap i think of free heat.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 18 of 18 Posts