Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bury 60' and run 30' in the house of electrical wire to the pool pump. It's just a 1 1/2 horse and 110 volts 15 amp. with a short cord. I was just going to mount a box on a post and another junction box on the side of the house. Should I pull 3 or 4 wire? The pump has hot, neutral and ground and a lug to ground the motor frame to the ground.

Another question is should I put a gfi at the pool or put it in the junction box outside the house. Or could I just put a gfi breaker in the fuse box.

Voltage drop calculator said 10 gauge at 100' is 3% or 117 volts.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes,3 wire, if you put a GFCI outside on the house you wont have to go to the basement to reset.Your filter has to have a twist loc plug 5' from the pool and you have to bond the pool in 4 spots and have a skimmer bond wire.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Bond wire goes from a ground lug on the side of your junction box to motor, then to 4 spots on pool then skimmer.

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
If you intend to follow the electrical code you'll have to have the wires outside of the house in a conduit and the ground wire must be insulated.
Gfci should be by the pump
120 volt circuit only needs 3 wires, hot, neutral and ground
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Do you have any intention of selling the house any time in the next 50 years? If yes, think about getting a permit from the local building authority. A permit would require an inspection. Inspectors for electrical work can be pretty finicky, understandably so. This leads to the notion of whether or not you would be better off paying a licensed electrician to do the work, although you may believe, and you may be right, that you are entirely able to do the work yourself.

The inspector may or may not share your belief, at which points headaches may start to develop. Selling a house with unpermitted electrical work may or may not be a future headache.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Josh R is right. If it were mine I would put the GFCI(s) in the house panel. Inconvenient, yes, but keeps everyone much safer in the yard. The wiring is GFCI protected limiting the potential for people being hurt.

kroppe is right. There is substantial liability that comes with owning a pool. If you are not a licensed electrician having knowledge of the requirements for grounding and bonding for a pool. You should hire an electrical contractor.

Some of the contractors I worked for viewed pools and punch presses about the same - they would not work on them because of the liability. Every one that works on them are targets for law suits if someone is injured or killed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would definitely put a GFCI breaker in the panel. For some reason they seem to have fewer nucense trips that the receptacles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to bury 60' and run 30' in the house of electrical wire to the pool pump. It's just a 1 1/2 horse and 110 volts 15 amp. with a short cord. I was just going to mount a box on a post and another junction box on the side of the house. Should I pull 3 or 4 wire? The pump has hot, neutral and ground and a lug to ground the motor frame to the ground.

Another question is should I put a gfi at the pool or put it in the junction box outside the house. Or could I just put a gfi breaker in the fuse box.

Voltage drop calculator said 10 gauge at 100' is 3% or 117 volts.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I pulled a permit when I did mine 17 years ago, gfci breaker was required. Conduit,
20200613_165340.jpg
3 wire, insulated ground. Pool has been gone a couple years, electrical and post are now a lamp-post that I just finished last weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts