Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Love it!

My wife is a venison convert. We've been together for over 21 years. For the first couple years, she wanted NOTHING to do with venison (said it was gross every time she tried it). Then she started sniffing around when I'd cook it and eventually started sampling some. Then eating full portions. Then she started cooking with it. Eventually it got to the point she was telling me I needed to get more deer because we were running out of venison.

There's 1 thing she still turns her nose up to and that's venison meatballs. She has a great recipe using beef. Neither of us have ever had them with venison. But I'm getting ready to pull a package out of the freezer and use some tips from the meatball thread that's going.

Registered
Love it!

My wife is a venison convert. We've been together for over 21 years. For the first couple years, she wanted NOTHING to do with venison (said it was gross every time she tried it). Then she started sniffing around when I'd cook it and eventually started sampling some. Then eating full portions. Then she started cooking with it. Eventually it got to the point she was telling me I needed to get more deer because we were running out of venison.

There's 1 thing she still turns her nose up to and that's venison meatballs. She has a great recipe using beef. Neither of us have ever had them with venison. But I'm getting ready to pull a package out of the freezer and use some tips from the meatball thread that's going.
Ditto. Apparently my wife had some bad venison as a kid and didn鈥檛 plan on eating anything I shot. Over time, she became converted with loins, chops, and burger, followed by (later) steaks and roasts.

And this year, she is giving me **** for not getting a deer. I鈥檇 say she鈥檚 converted. 馃槀

Premium Member
Talk about more incentive to hunt. After seeing this, I think I'll go "attack" another deer so, I don't have to eat this fake meat sh** or any of that lab grown stuff.
Naw me and the boys thought about it and going to save the planet and go Lvl 5 Vegan, (refuse to eat anything that casts a shadow)....already traded in the rifles for an assault style carrot peeler. The produce isle aint gonna know what hit em!

Premium Member
Impossible burger becomes possible with a well placed shot. Some like to harvest food, I like to kill mine.
technically if you want to get morbid, picking a tomato doesn't kill it right away. Its a slow antagonizing death until every living cell in the tomato dies from starvation. At least the deer I shoot suffer less than the produce in the produce isle thats all slowly dying and being put on display for days on end. What kinda of sicko does that 馃槅馃槅馃槅. Just think of all the dying plant cells next time you walk down the produce isle. At least the meat was killed in a humane way!

Registered
Love it!

There's 1 thing she still turns her nose up to and that's venison meatballs. She has a great recipe using beef. Neither of us have ever had them with venison. But I'm getting ready toI pull a package out of the freezer and use some tips from the meatball thread that's going.
You have her this far along, don't ruin a good thing. Use the beef for the meatballs.

Registered
Love it!

For my "buck balls" I use 2# of ground venison (that has ~10% pork butt added) and a pound of Breakfast sausage - medium spicy...try that, with your other ingredients (1 egg / pound of meat / 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs / pound, sauteed diced onions and celery, garlic, spices) and you may be able to sneak in the venison!

Registered
If soybeans are so wonderful - why do you see them trying to make them taste like meat?

When is the last time you saw a cut of meat advertised as "just like soy!"???
Soybeans are actually pretty amazing. They're a very nutritious food source for humans and livestock, and you can even use them to make industrial lubricants, textiles, plastics, and other things.

But they ain't a backstrap, that's for darn sure.

Registered
best venison burger i have made for non venison eater
used a package of jerky season, minus the salt packs. two eggs. mix very well together.
make in to 1/3lb patti and put in fridge over night.
Cook on a very hot gril to a medium.
serve on a toasted onion bun with garnishment of thier desire.
They will be back for more.
my burger is pure venison, i will not mix it with other meat.
Only time it sees any mixing is doing a meat loaf, than i run three diffrent meats.
Most time venison, beef, and pork. A mix of vegetables and some cheese.
use a good barbecue sauce for the top.
another one to convert people with.
I always have people now asking for venison from me that would never touch it before.
If they are a good cook we do some trades.
Venison for a couple homemade meals threw out the year for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Registered
best venison burger i have made for non venison eater
used a package of jerky season, minus the salt packs. two eggs. mix very well together.
make in to 1/3lb patti and put in fridge over night.
Cook on a very hot gril to a medium.
serve on a toasted onion bun with garnishment of thier desire.
They will be back for more.
my burger is pure venison, i will not mix it with other meat.
Only time it sees any mixing is doing a meat loaf, than i run three diffrent meats.
Most time venison, beef, and pork. A mix of vegetables and some cheese.
use a good barbecue sauce for the top.
another one to convert people with.
I always have people now asking for venison from me that would never touch it before.
If they are a good cook we do some trades.
Venison for a couple homemade meals threw out the year for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
My daughter had a thing for burger. Her mom wouldn't eat it so she wouldn't.. Mom's gone. Kid smashes burgers and says best ever....
Follow instructions on lipton onion soup mix packages. Bread crumbs, mayonnaise. I prefer just mixing dry soup mix but tried bread crumbs and mayonnaise other night and she couldn't believe how good they were :)

Premium Member
The Processor that I used last year, offered Bacon Burger as an option for the grinding. I don't know what ratio of Bacon to Venison he used but it was pretty good.
He retired and sold his business at the end of last year. I had to find a new processor this year.

Registered
For my "buck balls" I use 2# of ground venison (that has ~10% pork butt added) and a pound of Breakfast sausage - medium spicy...try that, with your other ingredients (1 egg / pound of meat / 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs / pound, sauteed diced onions and celery, garlic, spices) and you may be able to sneak in the venison!
Made these up tonight using a recipe I found elsewhere online and modified fairly heavily based on my taste and experience.

My wife was all in - couldn't wait for them to finish so she could try them, then couldn't say enough about them after they were done. Honestly, they were the best meatballs I've ever made. Coincidentally, they are the first meatballs I've made, so take that for what it's worth.

As an added kicker, my in laws dropped by for a bit as I was pulling the finished product off the stove. My FIL likes venison sausage and jerky but I've never seen him try anything venison beyond that. My MIL pretty much won't touch venison, period.

My FIL tried one, then about 5 more. After encouragement from my wife and kids, my MIL tried one, then reluctantly went back for seconds. When they left for home, they took most of the left overs with them, and my son is taking the rest for lunch tomorrow to split with his girlfriend, who's never tried venison before

I don't really color by numbers so here's an approximation of the recipe.

• 3lbs pure ground venison
  • 1lb ground pork
  • Large diced onion
  • several cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1T Italian seasoning
  • 1t black pepper
  • 1t salt
  • 1T red wine vinegar
  • 1.5c bread crumbs
  • 3 eggs

I sauteed the onions & garlic in a bit of butter and EVOO, turned off the heat then mixed in the spices and vinegar. Poured that in with the meat, added the bread crumbs and eggs. Measured out the meatballs so they were about 2.5oz each.

In the oven on a greased sheet at 375F for about a half hour. Broiled on high for a couple minutes at the end to crisp the outside.

Sauteed more onions, garlic and mushrooms in a separate skillet.

Dumped a jar of marinara sauce in another skillet.

Pulled the meatballs from the oven, put them in the marinara. Dumped the sauteed onions and shrooms on top. Mixed lightly to cover the meatballs with sauce then simmered for about 20-30 minutes, covered.

Served on top of spaghetti.

Absolutely phenomenal.

View attachment 869566 View attachment 869567 View attachment 869568 View attachment 869569
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts