Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I have heard of them in the inner before, may not have been true. But never in the river...

·
Super Moderator
35,137 Posts
Caught one roughly 20 yrs ago on the channel edge next to spoils island through the ice. It was 3rd biggest in the state that year (I think it was 9 lb+). I was about 10 yrs old and bored with walleye fishing. I put on a tiny jigging rapala and pulled up an ugly "thing". At first we thought dogfish, but it didn't look right... took it home and found out it was a burbot, and a relatively big one. Got a master angler for it and I THINK a letter from Fred Trost (don't remember if the letter was for a tagged eye or the burbot...)

Edit: must have been more than 20 yrs ago... searched master angler since 1994 and can't find it. Any way to look up prior to 1994?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Never heard of any caught in the river but hear of 1 or 2 a year taken out of the inner bay on the eastside. Seems more of them are caught around caseville or tawas

·
Super Moderator
35,137 Posts
Burbot are very good to eat... to each their own.

I'm not sure about the hat. This was late 80s early 90s. I was probably 8

·
Super Moderator
35,137 Posts
Nah. My dad. I have found old pics at work from the late 80s with the engineers wearing the same style glasses. Apparently that was the style lol.

That was back when we had a hard time catching anything but hog walleye. The river wasn't loaded with dinks at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Friends told me they catch them in the UP but said they call em fresh water cod! Haven't heard much talk about them around here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts