Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting public land for the past 2 years with my young beagle. We both are still learning how to hunt bunnies. Does anyone have any suggestions where to find good numbers of rabbits? I'm located in Byron Center and would like to find a few new places that hold rabbits so I can work the dog. I think the more rabbits we run into the more she will improve.

If anyone has land and wants to go out let me know. Again I'm no expert and my dog is still trying to figure this thing out. PM me and let me know.

Good luck to all of you who chase the bunnies this winter. I'm hoping to impove on the 6 we got last year.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm in the same spot with my male beagle. This is his 3rd season and even though his first 2 were limited by 1 1/2 ft of snow I'm real happy with him. We only took 2 last winter because I wanted to let him chase and learn, sometimes I didn't even take a gun. Had him out Monday, ran 3 and got to listen to him for over an hour. Going to start putting some in the freezer. Good luck to you and if someone around my area has property they want to hunt let me know.

·
Registered
26,587 Posts
Not to brag but I bet I put over 50 in the freezer last year. I was working part time so I went almost every day. Towards the end, I didn't take a gun. Sometimes I took other people out so they could get some. The dog loves it and I like seeing him have fun too.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Freepop

Care to share your hotspots? :D Sounds like you have some great bunnie land. Have a great season.

·
Registered
26,587 Posts
You gotta figure I hunted for 3 1/2 months most every day. Some days we'd do good, some days nothing, good/bad scenting conditions. I live 30 miles south of Lansing and have 100s-1000s of acres after the first of the year. Come on down if you want to give it t try.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
theres plenty of rabbits out there in your area. biggest thing is to keep getting him out there regularly. the more you run him the more he'll find. wouldn't hurt at this point to run him with other dogs once in awhile, they seem to pick things up good if you can do that. but still run him single it makes them work a bit harder.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
john warren said:
theres plenty of rabbits out there in your area. biggest thing is to keep getting him out there regularly. the more you run him the more he'll find. wouldn't hurt at this point to run him with other dogs once in awhile, they seem to pick things up good if you can do that. but still run him single it makes them work a bit harder.
Thanks for the advice, I would like to run my beagle with other dogs. I think it would do her some good.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FREEPOP said:
You gotta figure I hunted for 3 1/2 months most every day. Some days we'd do good, some days nothing, good/bad scenting conditions. I live 30 miles south of Lansing and have 100s-1000s of acres after the first of the year. Come on down if you want to give it t try.
FREEPOP,

I would love to meet up with you sometime in January with my Beagle and have her run with your dogs. I'll PM you and maybe we can set up a date. Once again thanks for the offer.

Gobblerman

·
Registered
26,587 Posts
Goblerman, sounds good. We were talking about have a mid-state rabbit hunt too. We had a meet-n-greet in Lansing and a handful were in favor of giving it a try. PM me or E-mail, me and we'll get together. I work full time now, so I'm destined to weekends, every weekend ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Goblerman,Hey i am in Zealand and i hunt spruce plantations,i have 6 dogs of my own and my buddy has 5,some days i cut all of them lose.We had good success that last 2 years killing over 150 rabbits and hares combined.Send me a email and maybe we can get togeather to run someday.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the beagle and I went out yesterday morning and it was tough going. No rabbits and only one set of tracks on 3 parcels of land. The snow depth I think really played its toll on the dog. She was wore out after 3 hours. There's always next week.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i was going to suggest looking into any local christmas tree farms as a venue for bunnies i have always had great success in the tree farms in my area

·
Registered
26,587 Posts
Staurday we ran 3 got one. Sunday we ran one and didn't get anything but exercise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think with all this fluffy snow the hunting will be slow till it settles,i havent even went out for the excersise and its driving me nuts so maybe today.I see the sun is out a little so maybe they will venture away from there holes.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Joe Havenor said:
I think with all this fluffy snow the hunting will be slow till it settles,i havent even went out for the excersise and its driving me nuts so maybe today.I see the sun is out a little so maybe they will venture away from there holes.
My thoughts as well. Went out last weekend for 3 hours and only jumped two. I didn't waste any time on them this past weekend and never saw any tracks anyways. Hopefully the snow sticks around and in another week they should be out in search of food more often.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well i did go out this afternoon for 1 1/2 hours snow was alittle deep but i was surprised,I ran my dogs in a spruce plantation and just a little portion of it i seen 10 rabbits that they ran in that little time i only shot one for the dogs to retrieve for me.They did not hole up as fast as i thought they would so maybe tomarrow if i get a chance i will run them again in the afternoon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts