Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to fish Saturday morning but when we reached our fishing spot 5 miles out the boat developed motor problems. We were able to limp all the way back in. I have had a very bad luck start to my walleye fishing this year.The boat is in the shop to get diognosed and repaired. If it doesn't work out I may have to withdraw from my commitment to the walleye for warriors this weekend. What a bummer.
On the good luck side of things I was drawn Saturday for a highly coveted bull moose tag in Maine. One of the contractors working for me has 1900 acres with a really nice cabin out in the bush to hunt and has guided there for 20+ years. He told me the hard part is getting the tag. The odds of getting a respectable bull moose are very good. 450 lbs of moose meat would make up for all of the walleye I haven't caught this year.:lol:

·
Premium Member
29,971 Posts
Gary, I'll put some extra eyes in the freezer and we'll do some bartering when you get the moose!:D

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Gary, Sorry about the boat but congrats on the Bull Moose Tag.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the first time to apply for me. I bought 1 block of 10 chances for $55.00. I plan on videoing the entire expeience, start to finish with plenty of pictures.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott, I took it to Mel Turner at Saginaw Marine. He is the one that dropped a new 350 in it last spring. The old motor was tired and not worth fixing so I repowered. This is the second time the same thing has happened this spring. The boat will eun perfect while motoring out for a 2 or 3 hundred yards at no wake speed and then run good at 30 mph for 5 or 6 miles. When I slow down and get set to troll the motor will start to miss and not troll down. Then when you try to power back up it spits and sputters and will take a few minutes to power back up. After it powers back up it doesn't have the same top end speed and will change speeds all by itself without touching the throtle. He put a modual/electronic ignition on it the first time and ran it on the river and he thought he had it beat. But Saturday proved him wrong.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The problem could be something that has nothing to do with the engine. Fuel pickup, vent, or supply line. Bugs can get into things over the Winter. Them darn Oriental beetles that look like lady bugs are the worst.

Mel is one of the best and will get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel and water seperator was the first thing he checked. I was thinking fuel pump but why only after you run for 15 or 20 minutes before it starts acting up. Seems to run fine until it comes to actual running temp???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts