Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't hear much about applying "Manure" to build up soil.

Instead of taking the time to plant buckwheat and brassicas to build up your soil for forages you really want, can't you just speed up the process by spreading manure and get instant organic matter?

Is Manure expensive to purchase and spread? Are there any drawbacks to manure from a biological standpoint?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
In some areas it is not available and in others the cost of delivery might be prohibitive. If it were readily available in my area I would not hesitate to have a farmer bring some in. A possible draw back to manure is that it can introduce a lot of weeds into the area but I guess that's what they make RU for. FM

·
Premium Member
7,082 Posts
There is little question as to the benefits of manure to improve soil. The issues involved with it are simply logistical. Can you acquire and move the quantities necessary for your site?

If you have the ability it is an option.

A good friend of mine has been using "poo" (as they call it) to improve his property for some time. They are organic farmers and have used manure to improve their gardens and pastures for some time.

Time is the limiting factor, IMO. Running back and forth to the stable to acquire the "poo" is what would limit my own use. You could also add in the cost of a dump (truck or trailer) and a spreader.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Manure has been mentioned in quite a few threads and is an excellent way of adding large amounts of OM in a short time, if you have access to a lot of manure.

Many folks will advise you to stay away from HORSE manure. Horses do not process food as thoroughly as cows, so a lot more weed seeds make it through their digestive tract. This is like spreading fertilizer and weed seeds at one time...not a good combination! :)

Composted steer manure and chicken litter are two of the most common manures and both are effective at bringing up the OM in your soil. Of the two, I understand steer manure is not as high in nitrogen, so it won't present as much of a danger in burning plants. The best thing seems to be applying manure in early winter or right before your spring/summer planting, discing it in to spread it out in the soil.

Do you have access to a lot of manure that you can use on your land?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will be using Manure on are place I have a farmer behind us about 300 yards that will give me all I want most has been in a pile for about 7 years its like black dirt. as for the spreader I 'm just about done with the one I'm rebuilting I will post a pic when done it looks so good it will be hard to fill it full of poo!!!! lots of work redoing old Packers is much more fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts