Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ground blind. I have my basic ideas of using free pallets, fallen trees, scrap wood from the cabin, etc.

What I would like to do though, is have some camo netting. I have searched online, and it seems kinda pricey.

Looking for the cheapest out there. Hopefully it doesnt smell like rubber....

Anyone with ideas?

Thanks.
Dave

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Army/Navy Surplus, Joe's down this way in Waterford/Pontiac had it last year in precut sizes or off the roll bulk. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
5 pallets, 4 landscape timbers...you know the cheap ones $3 for 8', and a roll of tar paper.
Put the our timbers in the ground, place 4 pallets around the timbers and secure...screws preferably, but I've used wire with good success. Place one pallet on top of the 4 timbers for the roof. On the roof, do multiple layers of tar paper to cover....you can hang some tar paper over the edges to make the window openings smaller if necessary (I like them just big enough to see and shoot out of....never a need for tall windows) use a staple gun to secure. Then take the roll of tar paper, and finish the sides with a couple of layers to give you some wind protection. You can cut a door if you want or just climb over...whatevers easier for you. I would brush in the blind a bit plus you can use burlap or the camo netting to blend it in better, but brushing it in works just fine. Pine or cedar of some type works well. Take an old carpet remnant or throw rug for a quick and quiet floor. Take some carpet for the shooting rails/rest....keeps it quiet when resting your gun for the shot.
A couple hours worth of work at best and not much money. You'll have to replace and patch some of the tar paper on a yearly basis, but a full roll goes a long way.

·
Super Moderator
37,811 Posts
I have some (well, a lot) heavy duty shingle pallets if you need them. the slats are 1x4's not that thin stuff that will split in short order. They are also a little larger than standard pallets, a meter by 1 1/3 meters. 8 mile/southfield area.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a pretty big pile of pallets here at our warehouse in Shelby Twp. that we need to get rid of. Free of course. If anyone in the area needs some pm me.

Larry

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Joe's Army Navy in Waterford

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
theres no reason to haul all that stuff into the woods.
i always find plenty of natural blind building material laying around. fallen branches, leaves and such. look for a couple trees, or a stump , or evern better a downed tree in a likely spot. pile, weave , and stack branches into a nice nest, making sure to clear fallen leaves from your floor area. remember you don;t have to totaly hide, just distort your shape.
i've been hunting out of these natural ground blinds since the early sixties.
the benifits? FREE, easy, you don;t have to litter the woods with pallets and such that never seem to be taken out of the woods. you can put as many as you want, allowing you to have many options in case situations change in the woods. they take only a short time to assemble....oh and FREE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts