Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to build one or two more deer blinds this year. The last one I built was a deer blind/ ice fishing shack. Unfortunately I built it out of the wrong type material, and it didn't quite make it 3 years. It was approximately 6x6. When I was gun hunting, I found it to be too big. I had to do a lot of leaning, and rolling over to a different window to see out.

I am thinking of building it 4' by 4' this year. I think this will be perfect for sitting in the back, and being able to shoot out of 3 sides. Also, being 4x4, it will give me a solid gun rest by setting the stock on the window opening.

I only plan to gun hunt out of it. I found that my elbow would hit the back of the blind when on full draw with a bow. That's ok, I prefer to bow hunt out of a tree stand anyway.

Does anyone else have any experience with a 4x4 deer blind? Will I regret not building it bigger?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've hunted out of 4x4 blinds and we still have one on the property that I hunt. All of the new blinds that I have built are 3 1/2 X 6 they are just enough room for 2 people and are very comfortable for one person. I find at 3.5' deep I don't have to lean or reach to get into a shooting position, alot less movement when its time for the shot. I'll have to look for a picture they are unique.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
good thread thefishhunter
i too am downing size a new elevated blind. i decided 5x5 as hunting man suggested because it will allow me to have 2 people with my tripod/camera behind us. I have 2 other elevated condo blinds that are 6x6x 7ft tall they are roomy but as mentioned too much movement like sliding chairs around to get into position.
IMHO 4x4 is just a tad bit small for those of us who carry everything including the kitchen sink to our november home away from home

·
Registered
416 Posts
a 5x5 is the perfect 1 man blind. Big enough to put your backpack and heater in, but not too big that you have to lean too much to see out of all of the windows. You can also put a nice office chair in there. 5x6 is the perfect 2 man blind. I have both. If there's only 1 person in the 5x6 you have to move around quite a bit to see out of all the windows, but it'll still work. You can fit 2 office chairs comfortably in those. I used SmartPanel siding from Lowes or HomeDepot. It's already primed and is used on a lot of sheds. It's extremely light and won't rot. I painted mine after a year and it should last for 20 years provided you paint it every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of the last blind I built during construction: 5x6, SmartPanel siding, treated platform, elevators, and 2x2 walls on inside. I built the platform first with as little wood as possible to hold it together, then brought it out and tipped it up into place. I then dug the holes for the posts and anchored the platform with concrete. I then attached the rest of the wood to the platform (cross bracing, deck boards for the porch etc). I had built the blind in my pole barn, then disassembled into 6 sections. I brought each section up 1 at a time and re-built the blind on top of the platform.
Plant Plant community Leaf Tree Natural landscape
Plant Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Banned
13,909 Posts
Looking good 12point.

I wanted to elevate the blind we made this year but it was primarily made for my elderly uncle who has trouble walking so we will make due with it on the ground for now.

I like the idea of building it in the shop and then transporting it piece by piece to your hunting ground and assembling it there where you want it. The blind we made was 8x4ft and was heavy enough that once we put it in place it was decided it won’t be moved again for a while.:dizzy:;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys! New to the forum here and a bit of an outsider as I am currently living in South Dakota. I grew up hunting whitetails in Michigan with my Dad, brother and uncles. I am in the process of deciding how to build a deer blind for use out here in SD... I am open to suggestions and have had lots of ideas tossed around in the last few days.
Here are a few questions/decisions that need to be made -

Where to build?
I do have access to a shop that I can build it in, but do have a tractor with a loader on it for final transport...the destination for it is only a few hundred yards from the farm site right now. At this point, I am thinking it'll be much easier to build in the shop where the electricity and air compressor are at.

Portability?
I was thinking I might want to be able to move it at a later date if needed as well. I can put the pallet forks on the loader and slip it underneath and tie it down and carry it to the next location if needed.

Size?
I've got three young kids that would like to be able to come out and go deer hunting with Daddy and would like the blind to be big enough to accommodate 2 guys comfortably. I'm not small at 6'2" 230 and neither are the two guys that may be in it with me from time to time (father in law whose farm I am hunting on and other hunting buddy from MN).

Windows?
Custom build from plexiglass? I've read about ones that flip up, flip down and slide... Would love to see plans/instructions on some of them... Also wondering what height to build them at as well.

Insulation?
Anyone have strong opinions either way on this? I've read of some using the bats of insulation and other guys using the styrofoam insulation.

Anything else that you guys would have done differently about your own blind now that you've been using it for a few seasons?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Im a big guy so a 4x4 feels a little tight to me. The one i built last year was a 5x5 and I love it, found sometimes I have to move over in my chair to get a good rest on the window sill but Ive got a nice quiet office chair inside it and the floor has some I/O carpet glued down. I built the whole thing in my garage and made it so it all came apart in 6 pieces. Hauled it up to the UP and put it back together, we got there in the morning and had it done by lunch time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I forgot I was going to post a picture of my blinds to this thread. As I said they are 3.5 X 6 and are the best use of space that I have found and much easier to heat than a regular box blind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is another picture of one on the ground. You can see one of the side windows on the right hand side. It has flaps that open on each side like dormers out of the shingle roof.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been thinking about building a new blind as well. The first one I built was a 4x4. I did the same as above, built it at home and then broke it down to 6 pieces. Would definately recomend that. I'm thinking my next one will be 5x5 or 6x6 havent decided yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.