Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my box blind and looking for ideas for material that could be used for the side panels. I have used various grades of ply-wood and the 3/8's stuff. Just thinking that there could be something new on the market that I don't know about.........Thanks.............it will be left out.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
1 and 5/8" metal studs and either plastic sides and roof, or pole barn metal....build it once and build it rite....you can also use 1" and a 1/2" ridgid foam between the studs if you wanted...... will outlast all of us.....Mack

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I used treated lumber for my new elevated blind.

I need to shingle the roof & hang some vinyl siding yet.

Here are some shots of the uncompleted blind from last fall.

Below is a shot of the entry way.

A view of the blind from the NE.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice blind, alot of good thinking and a lot of work going into that, It should last. I will look into the metal studs,good idea.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have made several ground blinds. On the gun openings,I use a solid board to cover it. Each board has a 5 inch hole cut into it with a inside cover plate that I can adjust. The board itself has a counter weight using a 1 or 2 pound ball. I can just look out through the hole or open the board. I can raise it a inch- 2 or 3 inches..The right weight will hold it where ever you want it. If a deer is coming from one direction, I close the others up- so ther is no see through and they work in the wind. The round hole cuts down the wind in your face also. I can shoot through the hole as well.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Speaking from experience, metal will outlast just about anything but if it hails or downpours you will feel like you are inside of a drum. We now use treated lumber with a slanted prebuilt roof that gets bollted down. We use a layer of tarpaper and shingles or other heavier roofing. Inside there are boarded windows where the covers can be lifted and hooked out of the way. Then we have plexiglass that slides horizontally so that we can take our shots. The most important thing that we have found is if you are using a ground blind to get the floor off of the ground so it doesn't draw moisture or the blind will rot from the bottoml up. You have to use rabbit wire or other measures then to keep the varmints out from under, especially skunks unless you favor that kind of cover scent. We also have a drilled hole in the wall to run the pipe from the fuel (propane) tank to the heater inside. To further seal the blind use foam or other commercial sealant on all places where light is seen with the doors and windows closed. Put in enough shelving so the floor isn't cluttered and camo the outside according to your needs and taste. A chimney pipe with cap also helps vent any fumes. In black they usually don't give the place away. Good luck and good hunting! Use what you want of these ideas and just forget the rest. Do what works for you!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I picked up some sheets of "ondura" and screwed it to the roof sheeting. It is quicker than shingles and 4 years and still no leaks. Do a search for Ondura if you don't know what it is.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts