Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone...or know of anyone who has...taken a course recently to get their builder's license? Looking at a few courses...trying to pick which one is good without breaking the bank. TIA

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
I took the course several years ago can't remember which one it was. I have since let my license expired, big mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
I took the course several years ago can't remember which one it was. I have since let my license expired, big mistake.

Let mine expire this year, didn't think that I'd pull anymore permits.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
Let mine go when they started that 40 hours per year of school nonsense. Obviously the idea was someones who could make money off the school aspect. Pure BS.

I think to maintain my license it was 3 online hours.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't believe there were any classes offered in 1981 when I took the test or I would have taken one. Studied the booklet and passed the first time I took it. Got out of the business in 1994 but renewed my license for a few years afterward. About seven or eight years ago someone from the state called to tell me they were updating their files and didn't have a current copy of my insurance. I told them that is because I had been out of business for twenty years and hadn't renewed my license in over ten. They said they would make a note of that. Must have I haven't heard back.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Let mine go when they started that 40 hours per year of school nonsense. Obviously the idea was someones who could make money off the school aspect. Pure BS.
That requirement is in place for people who have not had their license long. After so many years, it drops off to just a 3 hour refresher course. I do mine online now instead of going to a location.

I had absolutely no desire to even become a licensed builder when I got out of the Army. My Dad bet me $100 that I couldn’t pass the test the first time I took it. He knew I would, but knew air wouldn’t attempt it unless I had motivation. One of the best things I ever did. Has opened quite a few doors for me along the way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I dont have my builders license anymore but am a registered inspector. I use licensetobuild.com for my registration renewals and they also offer the builders license course. It is a very comprehensive course and does a good job with business administration and legal aspects of the Occupational Code and the Construction Code Act, along with the technical aspects.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts