Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend just moved to Grand Rapids 5 months ago and lives across the street from the river. He loves fishing but doesn't know exactly what to use this time of year he’s been up to Manistee a few times with a guide he’s not a total novice. He does not feel comfortable going down and asking others for help due to the nature that some people frown on it. I’m not looking to get exact details for him he will learn as he goes but maybe a starting point what to use for bait , good starting point on the river, bait shop ect…. Any and all help is appreciated! If anyone would like to let my Mike tag along I know he would really appreciate it he’s always good for a couple good laughs. I’m just a walleye guy from Lake Erie so I’m no help to him at all. On the other hand I would be willing to help anyone out that lends a hand to Mike if you ever get down my way. Pm me if you would like and thanks for any and all help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd Shirkman

·
Registered
672 Posts
tell him to grab his pole and go down there. just be himself and hang with the locals. thats how i did it.:fish:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Assuming your buddy doesn't have any spawn I'd tell him to target the deeper runs below the dam using plugs, "hot n tots". Fire tiger, chrome, gold are good color patters. Just work them slowly thru the deep runs behind the shallow gravel areas and he will catch something. Fall run steelies are really aggressive and will crush a plug if presented properly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe he has some spawn leftover from minister. Thanks guys

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to this myself... is it better to pull plugs cross current, or more of an upstream path with a swing across current? Effective to just let the current work them in more or less one place, maybe stripping or mending line to move them forward and backward? Do the winter steelies respond well to plugs, or better to drift wax worms or spawn as water cools?

Thanks for any tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts