Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my nightly drive and all the bucks I saw were all cleaned up.....must have just started happening in the last couple days because I was out on Friday evening and they were still ini velvet......anxiety grows!

clattin

·
Registered
518 Posts
I saw three bucks in Northern Clare County today and all three had velvet on still. I can't wait to see the bone underneath. 1 more month and it won't come quick enough.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do think they start rubbing earilier in Southern Mich than norther Mich.....maybe not, but that's been my experience.

Clattin

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Out of the 30 or so deer I saw Saturday nite, ten was bucks. I saw only one without velvet. Saw a lot of spike to six points, only one nice dandy. Time to prep and practice. Baydog:)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The 1 1/2 yr old bucks are the last to come out of velvet here in NE Mich. Mature bucks come out first. I've seen younguns' still totin' velvet in mid Oct up here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Out of the six bucks I saw today , 1 had his antlers polished.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Jay,

Thanks for the birthday card, lol hey where were the bucks did you go shining or were they in the backyard still?

;)
Dan

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Have seen 7 bucks in the past couple of weeks, the two most recent were 3 days ago. Velvet on all of them. Will take a walk this afternoon to see if the rubs have started in this area.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went out for a LONG walk this morning to try and find some rubs.....only found one, a good one obviously he was very aggressive about it. Getting really excited!

Clattin

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
On August 2nd I was doing some scouting in the swamp where I hunt and I saw a buck rub. It was on the trunk of a small, 4" diameter, Tamarack. Never have I seen one this early. A week later a friend and I were in the same general area setting up the last of our stands and I showed him the rub. I had to make sure I wasn't seeing things! It didn't look like a velvet-removing rub since the bark was stripped off. Some overhanging twigs were busted, as though the buck had rubbed his anters in them, but there was no velvet.

Anyone ever seen a rub this early?

Can't wait for bow season,
John E.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts