Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Canvasbacks have arived in the upper St. Clair River. I was at the beach in Marysville today and witnessed at least 1000 Can's, varing amounts of Redheads a pair of hooded Mergansers and a handful of Mallards. I really really REALLY want to shoot a drake Canvasback........

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
song dog,
You can shoot one........in November. When I lived in Port Huron many moons ago, I watched them there this time of year. I have pictures somewhere of them along the park. My brother lives just up the street in Marysville, so I get the same report from him. It'll drive you crazy if you let it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I was going to post the same thing. I drive the river from Marysville to PH on my way to work. There were cans the entire way. Thousands. Wonder why? Was is the cold or did Lk St Clair freeze?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was out in front of metro beach last Saturday ice fishing and the birds were flying. Hundreds of them going from the point south. The ones that came close enough were cans. Also allot of cans rafted up at the mouth of Detroit river.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
They're there again today. Would have been a great picture with the sun shining on them.
If they are there when I get out of work, I'll try and get some pictures. I don't know how close I can get, they are only 50ft from the road.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Idylmoments,
They've been staging in that area for many years. Like I said in my post, I used to watch them there in the late '70's and early 80's when I lived in PH. And yeah, their so close you can almost reach out and touch them. Must be there's food and open water there, so they come every year. My brother lives in Marysville and watches them all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts