Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I've never understood why folks get upset about a legal catch being harvested and then shared on the table. If largemouth bass were endangered, there wouldn't be a season on them. I'm quite sure Joe isn't filling his largie limit every weekend and then tossing the fillets to the cats.

Helluva day there Joe....nice work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've never understood why folks get upset about a legal catch being harvested and then shared on the table. If largemouth bass were endangered, there wouldn't be a season on them. I'm quite sure Joe isn't filling his largie limit every weekend and then tossing the fillets to the cats.

Legal doesnt mean ethical.

i just thought it was interesting w the other thread talking about big largemouth.

plus, w any fish or animal Ive ever eaten, the bigger ones taste worse.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

That and almost nobody keeps them. I know on the bay you can catch over 50 in a day. Probably why they are all 2 lbers too many of them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
As long as I catch the bass legally, I'm gonna keep up to my limit of them if I want them for dinner. I like the taste of the bass, both large mouths and smallies. If there are starting to be less and less of them every year, the DNR should do something about it, like have a closed season & a shorter open season or whatever they feel it would take to increase the numbers and size of the bass.

·
Registered
16,046 Posts

i just thought it was interesting w the other thread talking about big largemouth.

That I'll argue or prove all day everyday. My daughter never says dad this is that 210# buck or this is that 117# doe.. No difference.

Also never had anyone I give fish to complain big fish or at fish frys say this is a big fish....
All the way ya cook, clean, prepare.

Now "our" farm fed deer compared to NW lower deer, yes, difference. Have tasted difference.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
As long as I catch the bass legally, I'm gonna keep up to my limit of them if I want them for dinner. I like the taste of the bass, both large mouths and smallies. If there are starting to be less and less of them every year, the DNR should do something about it, like have a closed season & a shorter open season or whatever they feel it would take to increase the numbers and size of the bass.
Ive never kept one. This year I will try a smallmouth. And a sheephead at the same time.
Equal size.
Whichever tastes better will be the ones I keep...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ive never kept one. This year I will try a smallmouth. And a sheephead at the same time.
Equal size.
Whichever tastes better will be the ones I keep...
I kept some sheepshead about 15 years ago for the first time. I filleted them and cooked them in a black iron skillet with butter on a closed BQ grill. Chopped up an onion and salt & peppered them, and they were d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!!! I just could not bring myself to eat them again because of what they are, but I keep threatening to do it again. I think I will the next time I get a few of them.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Believe it or not, some family members prefer bass to walleye for the table.
Maybe that's why I jig alone so much, but drew a crowd for am bass.
<----<<<
I brought home a couple of large bass from Rainbow Lake one time. It is a pretty clean impoundment and about 30 feet deep most of the time. My wife fried them up and at supper said I don't know what kind of fish these are but don't bring any of them home again. I had to agree with her as they had as much taste as we would imagine cardboard had. Not sure if they were too big or what but not a pleasant experience. Catch them all the time on my bluegill lake but never keep any. But on the other hand we do love pike and many people have called them garbage fish. (Not Ralph):LOL::LOL:

Reactions: Papa Liver

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
That I'll argue or prove all day everyday. My daughter never says dad this is that 210# buck or this is that 117# doe.. No difference.

Also never had anyone I give fish to complain big fish or at fish frys say this is a big fish....
All the way ya cook, clean, prepare.

Now "our" farm fed deer compared to NW lower deer, yes, difference. Have tasted difference.
I agree with t he cleaning and preparation being part of taste but also the available food source makes a difference in the taste. Your deer comparison is very apropos. Get a deer in the cedar swamp (obviously car kill during winter yarding) and you will find the taste not very palatable.

Reactions: snortwheeze

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
With my bass I unzip lateral line, a little more red trimming and soak in milk for awhile
That is even good for walleyes.

Reactions: Guy63

·
Administrator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I brought home a couple of large bass from Rainbow Lake one time. It is a pretty clean impoundment and about 30 feet deep most of the time. My wife fried them up and at supper said I don't know what kind of fish these are but don't bring any of them home again. I had to agree with her as they had as much taste as we would imagine cardboard had. Not sure if they were too big or what but not a pleasant experience. Catch them all the time on my bluegill lake but never keep any. But on the other hand we do love pike and many people have called them garbage fish. (Not Ralph):LOL::LOL:
Body of water makes a HUGE difference. I caught some out of Muskegon once that were disgusting. However, Anchor Bay/Lake St. Clair are are very very good. This coming from someone who prefers walleye.
I'll add largemouth filets are crystal white compared to smallmouth, which have a reddish/pink tinge by comparison. Not much difference in taste, but I'd give the nod to largemouth.... kinda like a mild cod.
<----<<<

Reactions: BFG

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I think that there was a serious die off from VHS a few years ago, and the populations are just starting to recover.
Also, most of the fish that I cleaned had egg sacks that were drying out. No way I believe that C&R pre-spawn doesn't impact the spawn. No way!
If you want bigger bass, I think we need to go back to keeping the season closed until after they lay their eggs!
QUOTE]hmm when I lived in Texas we would fish bass all year long. what they get big boys down there.. I believe it has more to do with our water temp. the south have bigger bass than the north.
But I have no issue with people eating any fish they want. Bass is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,085 Posts

Implying that someone harvesting largemouth for the table as unethical is ridiculous. The entire world isn't a livewell for catch and release bass fisherman. The law and the smart folks at the fisheries who help to make the laws allow for a daily limit for many different species of fish. Unethical is not the correct term for that which you disagree. Unethical would be Joe catching a bunch of largies and tossing them on the bank. Unethical would be Joe using golden shiners with J-hooks and letting them eat it deep and then snipping the line at their lips and tossing them back.

Speaking of unethical, I personally feel the "live image" technology is unethical, with the same being said for live-stream trail cameras, etc. etc.

I didn't read the other thread about big largemouth. Smells like a QDM thread to me from a distance. I understand your desire for a future fishery by using C&R, but there are probably 10,000 largies from LSC that will die this year from things other than eating Joe's wacky worm. Be more concerned about things like water quality, Detroit dumping sewage in the river every time a storm hits, and the lack of shore access for non-boating fishing folks.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: multibeard

·
Administrator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Implying that someone harvesting largemouth for the table as unethical is ridiculous. The entire world isn't a livewell for catch and release bass fisherman. The law and the smart folks at the fisheries who help to make the laws allow for a daily limit for many different species of fish. Unethical is not the correct term for that which you disagree. Unethical would be Joe catching a bunch of largies and tossing them on the bank. Unethical would be Joe using golden shiners with J-hooks and letting them eat it deep and then snipping the line at their lips and tossing them back.

Speaking of unethical, I personally feel the "live image" technology is unethical, with the same being said for live-stream trail cameras, etc. etc.

I didn't read the other thread about big largemouth. Smells like a QDM thread to me from a distance. I understand your desire for a future fishery by using C&R, but there are probably 10,000 largies from LSC that will die this year from things other than eating Joe's wacky worm. Be more concerned about things like water quality, Detroit dumping sewage in the river every time a storm hits, and the lack of shore access for non-boating fishing folks.

Best of luck to you.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, C & R during the spawn could be way more unethical than eating a few bass. ;)
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
When I was a kid we pretty much ate everything we caught. Bull heads, suckers, bass. I've eaten plenty of pike. Don't remember them not tasting good. Do remember bones being more of an issue with certain fish than other fish.
We would catch fish and me and my brother would clean them. I was cleaning fish when I was 5yrs old. We would clean em and mom would cook em up. I mean big plate full of fish. When we were done all that would be left was a plate full of bones.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts