Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since they separated out walleye and bass limits in 2016, I have been saying "One of these days I have to go for a limit of bass on opening morning, and a jig up a limit of eyes in the afternoon. Last Saturday, I decided to take my best shot.
Got up at 5, and launched on Anchor Bay at about 5.45am accompanied by my oldest son, and step son. Later in the morning, exchanged my step son for his mom. We fished until noon catching about 40 bass or so. I kept a limit, plus 6 more from the other 3 fisherman.
Pulled the boat and went out to breakfast with the little lady. Fell asleep on the couch watching tv, but forced myself to get up to see if I could getter done!
Was very disappointed and skeptical arriving when launched at Algonac! 20 - 25mph winds, and some serious stain to the water. Had to work for 'em, but managed 6 keepers (size did not matter), and called it quits at 8.30 or so.
Animal product Metal Fish Food Fashion accessory

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Wood

One of the bass puked up this little feller in my livewell.
Gas Automotive exterior Wood Fin Fish

<----<<<

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a fun day Joe! Would've thrown back the bass all the eyes ya catch but still fun catching. Nice job
Believe it or not, some family members prefer bass to walleye for the table.
Maybe that's why I jig alone so much, but drew a crowd for am bass.
<----<<<

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To each their own but jeeze no wonder ‘largemouth just dont get as big here’

silly stuff
You serious Clark? A small handful of fishermen have stunted the population of LMB on St Clair?
I think that there was a serious die off from VHS a few years ago, and the populations are just starting to recover.
Also, most of the fish that I cleaned had egg sacks that were drying out. No way I believe that C&R pre-spawn doesn't impact the spawn. No way!
If you want bigger bass, I think we need to go back to keeping the season closed until after they lay their eggs!
<----<<<

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Better watch out Joe. With that one smallie identifying as a largemouth, putting the fillet knife to it might have been a hate crime :ROFLMAO:
Actually, towards the end of the morning we found a weed bed with a school of smallies. Didn't hang around much as we were pretty much done. Trying to decide if I should jig tonight, or hit that weed bed for some C&R. If it's calm, I'd love to throw some surface poppers.
Call it in the air...
<----<<<

·
Registered
13,819 Posts
So what's next on your fishing bucket list, Joe?

I used to have a goal of catching a new species every year, but I'm about out of those as far as what we have here in the St Clair system unless you start counting minnow species. Last year I got my master angler junk fish grand slam which I'd been after for a couple years. This is the first year that I can remember where I didn't have a specific goal other than to continue to hone my craft.

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I used to have a goal of catching a new species every year, but I'm about out of those as far as what we have here in the St Clair system unless you start counting minnow species. Last year I got my master angler junk fish grand slam which I'd been after for a couple years. This is the first year that I can remember where I didn't have a specific goal other than to continue to hone my craft.
Hard to answer. Not much in Michigan except maybe heading to the west side to target salmon.
I'd love to take a Tarpon and a Marlin....
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

You catch a Mooneye yet?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts