Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a rubbed tree today that was bigger than my upper thigh, in the 9-10" range at least. I've seen bigger but few. You guys put much stock in tree size to indicate mature animals ? Haven't seen anything on the cams that I think would tackle a tree that size, but after 40+years I'm still learning. I could be underestimating what a 2 1/2 year old 16"-18" buck could do. :D

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
That's probably a big deer doing that...real big. Got any pics?

I consider a big rub to be at least the diameter of my wrist and have it torn up pretty good for about 12-14". Shredding on the back side helps too.

Too bad I can't find many like that around here though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
last year i found a rub on state land on a tree that was about as big around as my calf. it was tore up starting at the bottom and went up about a foot. the back side had 3 or 4 lines rubbed into it. it was also surrounded by about 5 or 6 other rubs on littler trees. i thought this was a big rub. biggest ive seen anyways. saw a smaller 6 point out there but i dont think it was the deer that made this rub. hope whatever made that rub is still out there... the rub you found was probably made by a pretty good sized deer. hope he makes an appearance this year..

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've never found anything that ******* big!!

But yes I do equate bigger rubs with bigger bucks. I also look at how high up the rub goes on the tree and examine the higher branches that might have been nicked by a tine. To me, this indicates that he has some headgear hes working with.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I do have to say though, that I've seen video of BIG wild deer rubbing on saplings the size of my thumb and even smaller.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Rubs can tell allot about a buck. From what I have read generaly a large buck will start a rub like that but smaller bucks will rub the tree then too. The larger bucks have more testosterone and it effects them earliear so they have more aggression to take out on trees. Put a trail cam on it. A large rub like that will get lots of action if its in the right spot. If I find rubs like this on the edge of cover I have had good luck hunting them.

Other rubs I look for are good sized saplings rubbed and busted. At least the size of my thumb. This tells me they at the very least have 2 tines on a main beam. Also look at trees behind the rubbed trees, the close ones. Once I found a 4" diameter sapling about a 1 1/2 feet from another larger tree oak tree. When the buck rubbed the sapling he left tine tipp marks in the tree behind. This told me he had good tine length. The sapling would only bend so far when pushed on it.

I also like to find saplings all balled up and ripped out of the ground. Again this takes allot of aggression.

Any angry violent looking rubs, especially early ones I associate with 2-4 year old bucks.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
You have a nice buck in that area. Best of luck getting on him.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
I do have to say though, that I've seen video of BIG wild deer rubbing on saplings the size of my thumb and even smaller.

I follow the theory that any buck can rub a small tree, but most likely a rub on a big tree was at least started by a bigger buck.

As someone else mentioned, a little buck may come up to a rub on a big tree and do a little work on it but a small buck generally wouldn't be the one to open that rub up.

If you want to see some big rubs, take a walk around Stoney Creek Metropark (or Kensington Metropark). I use to live right by Stoney and would spend lots of time out there with the camera. I came across some rubs that would make anyone excited.

·
Premium Member
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get a pic next time I check the cams. Fortunately, I have a stand which I left up last year, within 40 yards of the rub. It'll give me something to look at should I get bored. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just be sure to PM me the location of the tree and I will gladly come over and check things out for ya. ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I would be most definitely interested in the height of the rub and then check the inside center of the rub for deep gouging. The gouging can be a gauge of its tines. Sounds like you have a pretty nice one in the area. I hope he stays there for you.

ST8

·
Premium Member
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just be sure to PM me the location of the tree and I will gladly come over and check things out for ya. ;)
I'll get the gps coordinates and send them right out....;)

I would be most definitely interested in the height of the rub and then check the inside center of the rub for deep gouging. The gouging can be a gauge of its tines. Sounds like you have a pretty nice one in the area. I hope he stays there for you.

ST8

Might be one displaced from another area bachelor group. I've got a cam located near, but not too close, now. Maybe I'll get a clue as to his size yet. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I watched a 90"ish buck make a huge rub on a tree in the 9-10" range last year while on the doe hunt in shiawassee. If I saw the rub without knowing the buck that made it I would have guessed it was made by a monster.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Is the rub smooth on the front? or is there stuff ripped and shredded everywhere? Keep an eye on it...If it's smooth, or becomes smooth later in the year, chances are it's a signpost rub. Meaning it's not one deer...it's probably 10-20 deer that will be rubbing that one tree this year. Basically every buck that goes through there will mark it just like a scrape...it's a communication method.

I dont put much stock into size of the tree = size of the deer...I've seen it too many times watching a little buck rip saplings apart, and also getting a few shots in on a bigger tree. Same thing with big bucks...watched them rip tiny little bushes out of the ground and also rub on small saplings.

The tines on the tree dont mean much in my opinion either...again since you probably have multiple bucks using the same rub. Best way to look at it...you have a buck in the area...guess you better go hunting! :D

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Came across a rubbed tree today that was bigger than my upper thigh, in the 9-10" range at least. I've seen bigger but few. You guys put much stock in tree size to indicate mature animals ? Haven't seen anything on the cams that I think would tackle a tree that size, but after 40+years I'm still learning. I could be underestimating what a 2 1/2 year old 16"-18" buck could do. :D

I didn't read all the posts so this might have already been said...

A big buck will sometimes make a small rub, but a small buck won't make a big rub...The best thing you can do is try to find one of his tracks. The "golden rule" here is "Tracks Don't Lie" Sounds like your chances of this being a good buck are high but if you find one of his tracks by that tree you'll know for sure...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I didn't read all the posts so this might have already been said...

A big buck will sometimes make a small rub, but a small buck won't make a big rub...The best thing you can do is try to find one of his tracks. The "golden rule" here is "Tracks Don't Lie" Sounds like your chances of this being a good buck are high but if you find one of his tracks by that tree you'll know for sure...

I am with you!! I see HUGE rubs every year with my biggest rub being a tree that you couldnt put your ARMS around. I have seen telephone poles shredded, but I put more stock in TRACKS than anything else. We have a place with LOTS of BIG rubs going right now, but the tracks tell the story!!

·
Premium Member
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Best of luck let us now how it goes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts