Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess my first question is...does buck forage oats grow in shady areas because im having the hardest time trying to get my too grow? second is the oats as good as im told?

·
Registered
46 Posts
They should be growing with all the rain and seasonal temps we've been getting.

IMO, oats are oats. Just another marketing pitch in their claim to fame. They will attract deer, but not any differently then the oats you can buy at a feed store.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know oats are late year forage...but has anybody had any luck on them so far this year? or will i not see results to later in the season?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I planted previous 2 years with great success. Deer loved them. Planted around labor day both years as directed here. Soil ph is very important. I spread 1000 lbs lime to adjust ph on my one acre plot. Mine grew well even in the shade, but were pretty much done in by freezing temp by Thanksgiving. Tried chichory (perinial) mix with brassicas this year also had great success. May plant BFO again sometime, It did work. Again, soil testing is very important. Good luck

·
Registered
798 Posts
They are a great grain type plot. and yes...they ARE everything everyone sys they are.

BFO grows in little type soils well, and is cold weather tolerant.

A great all around seed. Are there better, faster germinating, more preferred seed out there? .....why sure. But for the money and Michigan, its is a top 5 fall plot planting choice!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts