Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man what a grind today. My buddy drove up from Pinckney 2 hours drive and works midnights so had to get a couple hours sleep. He finally got to my house about 1:30. Met up with another buddy rich and his boy at the launch. So many suckers it’s crazy. Started fishing about 2:30 and didnt get our first eye till about 4. Weather turned into a mess thunder and lightning and started getting hairy out there. Only boat out there. Thought for sure with the storm coming fish would be snapping. Nah they sucked bad. I side scanned pods of fish and went over all the waypoints and picked up a couple here and there but wasn’t anything like last 4 days of big fish and limits. These were smaller and not interested. 4 spots later and 9:30pm we bounced. Lost a few at the net. Fish were there just not snapping. Ended up with 12. I got 6, Rob got 2, rich 3, his buddy 1. Probably lost a dozen between all of us but nothing like the 30-40-50 we’ve been losing last few trips. Really off day I couldn’t believe it. Didn’t even get a pic of the fish. All like 16” biggest maybe 20”.
Water Sky Cloud Hat Cap

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Do recognize that street light with the gull on it Papa lol, wife and I went out of Port Huron yesterday for our first trip of the year to the stclair and struggled from 7 to 11:00 in the morning with only 4 making multiple moves then decided to hit some of the spots we already hit on the way back in and fish turned on got our last 8 in 45 minutes working a 100 yard stretch All coming on fins ice shad.wasnt looking good for us but finished strong , good eaters, 15 to 20 in, wife cuaght the biggest just under 24
Food Vertebrate White Seafood Fish

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I side scanned pods of fish and went over all the waypoints
if my memory is right, you've got a Solix 10 (that was me who recommended the place in Florida where you purchased some months back). Anyway, I'm still trying to learn to use my humminbird to full advantage, and wonder if you could share your color pallet, sensitivity, and contrast settings? Or are you changing them day to day depending on various conditions, and if so, is the a proper sequence to which (sensitivity/contrast) you adjust first? I know that experience in recognition of what is shown on the Bird is important and its going to take me time, but I just dont have confidence right now that I'm doing myself any favors getting it close to dialed in.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
It sure looked like a classic day for good fishing.
I had to work all day.
Figured everyone was tearing em up. Doesn't sound like it was horrible.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if my memory is right, you've got a Solix 10 (that was me who recommended the place in Florida where you purchased some months back). Anyway, I'm still trying to learn to use my humminbird to full advantage, and wonder if you could share your color pallet, sensitivity, and contrast settings? Or are you changing them day to day depending on various conditions, and if so, is the a proper sequence to which (sensitivity/contrast) you adjust first? I know that experience in recognition of what is shown on the Bird is important and its going to take me time, but I just dont have confidence right now that I'm doing myself any favors getting it close to dialed in.
Yeah man thanks for the heads up on the place I bought it from. But to be honest with you I haven’t adjusted anything on it besides the sensitivity to the minimum to get rid of any surface clutter. Been wanting to get my tourney buddy out with me and have him work his magic on it like he did my Helix Ice unit. I have to say I’m super happy with it just the way it is and I’m sure it can be better. I can watch as the fish are about to slam a bait it’s pretty cool. I tell everyone here one comes get ready and 9/10 times there’s a hookup.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do recognize that street light with the gull on it Papa lol, wife and I went out of Port Huron yesterday for our first trip of the year to the stclair and struggled from 7 to 11:00 in the morning with only 4 making multiple moves then decided to hit some of the spots we already hit on the way back in and fish turned on got our last 8 in 45 minutes working a 100 yard stretch All coming on fins ice shad.wasnt looking good for us but finished strong , good eaters, 15 to 20 in, wife cuaght the biggest just under 24 View attachment 832062

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Nice grind man! What we were hoping to happen too. Only takes that one nice pod of fish to Git-Er-Done.

·
Registered
16,060 Posts
Yeah man thanks for the heads up on the place I bought it from. But to be honest with you I haven’t adjusted anything on it besides the sensitivity to the minimum to get rid of any surface clutter. Been wanting to get my tourney buddy out with me and have him work his magic on it like he did my Helix Ice unit. I have to say I’m super happy with it just the way it is and I’m sure it can be better. I can watch as the fish are about to slam a bait it’s pretty cool. I tell everyone here one comes get ready and 9/10 times there’s a hookup.
I'll be a witness to that. Might miss em but have have got slammed too ! Pretty sweat ****

·
Administrator
18,396 Posts
Man! Must be nice! I still do it missionary :D. All I use the graph for is to check and set the depth. I wonder if my electronics could be dialed in better? :unsure:
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
What did we ever do without the electronics. Can’t believe we ever caught any fish. 😂😂😂

·
Administrator
18,396 Posts
What did we ever do without the electronics. Can’t believe we ever caught any fish. 😂😂😂
On Anchor Bay, we used to take milk jugs with a sinker attached to mark a spot when we boated a walleye and then troll back and forth around the jug. :LOL:
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
You guys have one hell of a crew up there. What a network.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be honest the best thing I like about the new graph is once you’re on a nice pod of fish I can zoom in and follow that exact same drift to a T and pick away at them. Probably the best feature. Even being off 10’ makes a huge difference. But it is super cool watching the fish come stalk your bait. It’s just like ice fishing I think it makes it a little more fun. Do I need it no, but rather spend the $ on it than waste it on something dumb lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts