Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Browning Hi-Power vs. Glock 17...What Say...

2779 Views 109 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  LGB
From Tom Clancy's * latest novel - Red Winter .

The setting -
East Germany circa. 1985, "Cobb" is a virulently anti-communist German citizen assisting the C.I.A. . He's here providing a pistol for "Clark" , a C.I.A. agent just secreted into east Berlin:

Clark prided himself on keeping up with the firearms of the world. He'd yet to shoot one , but recognized this one as a Glock Model 17.
Clark, "Does it have a mag disconnect?"
Cobb, "Nope I hear you though. My only quibble about the Browning Hi-Power is that damned magazine disconnect. No, the Glock might be ugly as hell, but it's a fighting gun, pure and simple. If there's a round in the chamber, she'll go bang whether you have a magazine in or not."

Hmmm...I'm not sure the right choice was made. You guys know more about these things than I do so...What say you ?

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

9mm Hi-Power

* Amazing how Clancy's been dead for nearly 10 years but he still manages to crank out a new novel just about every year . This one is actually pretty good so far.
21 - 40 of 110 Posts
Nope. SA followed the specs close which is why you can use grips and mags for Hi Powers in the SA-35.

- VHR
I read that it's huge - bigger than the OG Hi Power. Can you confirm?
Looks great, though. Probably an awesome shooter.
I want one. I just have a hard time justifying another pistol.

- VHR
The new Hi-Power clone being made by Springfield has no magazine disconnect. Fabulous trigger, almost like a 1911. I picked one up, but still prefer to carry the 4" EMP CCC.
I approve you buying one.
I want one. I just have a hard time justifying another pistol.

- VHR
They're both great. Glock ergos don't suit me, but there's no denying it's utterly reliable and battle-worthy. The HP is just svelte (mag disconnect is removable).
Thanks buddy. [emoji23]

- VHR
I approve you buying one.
FN has come out with a new version of the Hi-Power. This one comes with a 17 round magazine and is a bit longer ( 8" vs. 7 3/4" ) and a couple of oz.s heavier.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

9mm Hi-Power
They both have their place. Love the all metal, but admittedly my Beretta fits my hand better than the Hi-Power. Glock has its place too. I have a 10 mm Glock 40 that rides in a chest holster when deer hunting. Pretty much impervious to elements and I shoot it quite well.

My verdict…. Both!
Thanks 9...I have every book him and his followers have written. They're always good.
It just came out. About a week ago Barnes & Noble had it on their " New Fiction" 30 % discount shelf and I got another 10% off as a B & N Member. So far it's surprisingly good :

Google Review:

"A top secret F117 aircraft crashes into the Nevada desert and the Soviets will do anything to get their hands on its secrets....In East Berlin, a mysterious figure contacts the CIA with an incredible offer...Deputy Director James Greer can only trust... one man - Jack Ryan...but ( now) he's in enemy territory with a professional assassin on his tail ..." .

View attachment 880102

9mm Hi-Power
Reactions: scrriverrat
Looks like about double the price of the Springfield. I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.
FN has come out with a new version of the Hi-Power. This one comes with a 17 round magazine and is a bit longer ( 8" vs. 7 3/4" ) and a couple of oz.s heavier. View attachment 880153

9mm Hi-Power
I read somewhere that the M.S.R.P. is $1495.00 . Not for me and the high price aside most of the "purists" on the Hi-Power Forum don't think much of it as in - "Why fix something that isn't broken "?

9mm Hi-Power
Looks like about double the price of the Springfield. I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.
Never shot a Hi Power and I would still pick it! :eek:
The HI-power with the SFS mod is the best darn handgun I own.
I don’t worry about shooting something unintended with a single action with the trigger back, it has a reasonable capacity, and the sight picture doesnt look like a brick (ala Glock 17)
+1 on the 43X. Check out the Shield 15 (S15) round flush fit mags.
I have a WWII FN Hi Power and a Glock 43x. I had a 17 and sold it. The Hi Power is obviously the more beautiful of the two, but if I was betting my life on it, I'd take a Glock any day of the week. It's not even a question.

On a related note: I have historically disliked Glocks because they are so damn ugly, but the 43x is probably the best concealed carry pistol I've owned in terms of that perfect balance of size, firepower, accuracy, and concealment. Would definitely recommend it.
There are differences, but not huge differences. Changing grips could make an impact. I am getting some G10 grips for my meaty mitts with stubby fingers to try. This will show the exact changes......
Beat inflation & rising prices. Buy both & then there are no questions about which one to buy.
  • Love
Reactions: LGB
Thanks for that review. Interesting
There are differences, but not huge differences. Changing grips could make an impact. I am getting some G10 grips for my meaty mitts with stubby fingers to try. This will show the exact changes......
GLOCK-Perfection
If true, why do I never see a stock Glock and why does it have more aftermarket parts made for it then other gun?
GLOCK-Perfection
Maybe you're not paying attention then. Stock Glocks are everywhere, including on the competition podium. The aftermarket is so big because it's a fun tinkering platform, like the AR-15 and the Ford Mustang.
If true, why do I never see a stock Glock and why does it have more aftermarket parts made for it then other gun?
21 - 40 of 110 Posts