Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Browning Hi-Power vs. Glock 17...What Say...

2779 Views 109 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  LGB
From Tom Clancy's * latest novel - Red Winter .

The setting -
East Germany circa. 1985, "Cobb" is a virulently anti-communist German citizen assisting the C.I.A. . He's here providing a pistol for "Clark" , a C.I.A. agent just secreted into east Berlin:

Clark prided himself on keeping up with the firearms of the world. He'd yet to shoot one , but recognized this one as a Glock Model 17.
Clark, "Does it have a mag disconnect?"
Cobb, "Nope I hear you though. My only quibble about the Browning Hi-Power is that damned magazine disconnect. No, the Glock might be ugly as hell, but it's a fighting gun, pure and simple. If there's a round in the chamber, she'll go bang whether you have a magazine in or not."

Hmmm...I'm not sure the right choice was made. You guys know more about these things than I do so...What say you ?

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

9mm Hi-Power

* Amazing how Clancy's been dead for nearly 10 years but he still manages to crank out a new novel just about every year . This one is actually pretty good so far.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Hi power hands down. I tend to avoid polymer and striker fired pistols and the Glock grip makes me really angle my wrist to get sights on target. Magazine disconnect can be removed or made inoperable.

- VHR
There you are.
The grip don't fit right , the gun don't point right.

A 22/45 Ruger is my best stock grip.
I've changed others where allowed on other pistols , but the inherent grip and resultant angle on that .22 is perfect.
Hi power hands down. I tend to avoid polymer and striker fired pistols and the Glock grip makes me really angle my wrist to get sights on target. Magazine disconnect can be removed or made inoperable.

- VHR
Smith & Wesson mdl.#39 1st. Gen.
I’ve shot my 1952 M12 for so long that the guys with me don’t even notice any more. So sometimes I gotta break out the 1930’s 1897 to get their attention. I’m killing just as many birds as their SBE’s and occasionally poaching a band out from under them when said “Super” gun goes click…
Oh and the correct answer, especially given the context, is a CZ 75.

- VHR
Glock. I carried one as a cop, shoot competitions with it. It's very practical. The Hi-power, well, I was never drawn to it.

I have handled a few and just don't need anything like it. Generally, I can justify the need in my mind for almost any gun. The hi-power and .50 BMG are the two I can't figure out what I would do with them.
Awe y’all are crazy!! Just find a nice old sig 226, west German if possible!!!!! 😎
I shot a buddies P226 and while it was accurate, it seemed to have a lot of muzzle flip and was slower on follow up shots according to the timer.

- VHR
Awe y’all are crazy!! Just find a nice old sig 226, west German if possible!!!!! [emoji41]
I have a WWII FN Hi Power and a Glock 43x. I had a 17 and sold it. The Hi Power is obviously the more beautiful of the two, but if I was betting my life on it, I'd take a Glock any day of the week. It's not even a question.

On a related note: I have historically disliked Glocks because they are so damn ugly, but the 43x is probably the best concealed carry pistol I've owned in terms of that perfect balance of size, firepower, accuracy, and concealment. Would definitely recommend it.
It just came out. About a week ago Barnes & Noble had it on their " New Fiction" 30 % discount shelf and I got another 10% off as a B & N Member. So far it's surprisingly good :

Google Review:

"A top secret F117 aircraft crashes into the Nevada desert and the Soviets will do anything to get their hands on its secrets....In East Berlin, a mysterious figure contacts the CIA with an incredible offer...Deputy Director James Greer can only trust... one man - Jack Ryan...but ( now) he's in enemy territory with a professional assassin on his tail ..." .

Eyewear Trigger Pen Gun barrel Bullet

9mm Hi-Power
When was Clancy's latest novel written? I need to order it.
I've taken informal polls of a few Glock owners on this one. Most will take the Glock for hypothetical go-time, even though everyone knows it's not sexy. A hi-power makes me drool, but if I have to have one gun: in Gaston we trust.
What to say? The Grande Puissance is obviously the more classic and cool of the two but the Glock is objectively the superior combat pistol.
The new Hi-Power clone being made by Springfield has no magazine disconnect. Fabulous trigger, almost like a 1911. I picked one up, but still prefer to carry the 4" EMP CCC.

- VHR
Reactions: scrriverrat
I read that it's huge - bigger than the OG Hi Power. Can you confirm?
Looks great, though. Probably an awesome shooter.
The new Hi-Power clone being made by Springfield has no magazine disconnect. Fabulous trigger, almost like a 1911. I picked one up, but still prefer to carry the 4" EMP CCC.
We carried these at work for a while. Very reliable. Kinda big in the grip and overall size. Capacity was a little limited for a gun this size.
Awe y’all are crazy!! Just find a nice old sig 226, west German if possible!!!!! 😎
1 - 20 of 110 Posts