Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is getting her boyfriend a bow for christmas and she wants to get him the Browning Verado MT, does anyone know anything about this bow. Also does she want to get him a 60 or 70 lb draw weight? I assume 60 & 70 are maximum poundages on the two different models? My last question is her boyfriend is about 5'10-11'' so if you had to ball park it what do you think his average draw would be?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
No one should try to buy a bow for someone else. Here is what her boyfriend needs to do. Go to a pro shop and get measured up for a bow. Draw length, draw wieght, all that good stuff. Then he can give all that info to your sister. Then she can go get the bow.

Or she can get a gift card and let him go buy the one he needs.

Now 60 would be the max poundage. If it is a 70 pound bow, then 70 pounds is the max.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I have to agree with Big. Fit is EXTREMELY important when it comes to a bow and guessing is definitely not recommended.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Getting setup at a shop would be far and away the best bet.
Wherever she plans on buying the bow, have her ask them if he can come back in to get it fit for him.

If he's never shot I'd look at a 60lb max...plenty for hunting these days.

The draw length on that bow is adjustable with a module change and no bowpress needed I believe...if I HAD to guess I'd get him a 28" draw as a starting point but it's really a crap shoot and the proper draw length can make a huge difference in comfort and accuracy.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
He can get sized up, then give that info to her. The same info will go with any bow. Your drawlength is your draw length. Your draw wieght is your draw weight. I don't care if you are shooting a Browning or a Matthews or a PSE, or a Hoyt. My draw weight and draw length will be the same.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
He can get sized up, then give that info to her. The same info will go with any bow. Your drawlength is your draw length. Your draw wieght is your draw weight. I don't care if you are shooting a Browning or a Matthews or a PSE, or a Hoyt. My draw weight and draw length will be the same.
Although technically this should be true, in reality it isn't. There seems to always be some fluctuations between bow mfg's nowadays and picking up several bows that state the same DL you will find that they are usually somewhat different.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Although that is important, another major factor is the feel of the bow, my christmas gift idea would be for her to take him to the proshop, let him see what feels the best and buy it for him right then and there

but to answer your questions...i'd say 60# with a 28 or 28.5" draw (pending if he has long arms or just average)

·
Registered
27 Posts
the verado has two modules that can adjust the draw length from 25-30" in one inch increments if I remember correctly.

I agree with what the others have said on the draw weight,
good luck,
jkeiffer

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Although technically this should be true, in reality it isn't. There seems to always be some fluctuations between bow mfg's nowadays and picking up several bows that state the same DL you will find that they are usually somewhat different.
True.

And for draw weight...the same can apply. I can draw an 80lb snooth drawing solocam while taking a nap but an aggresive Binary or dually setup I'll run a hair above 60

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I think a gift card would be the safest route. That way he can go the the shop and test drive several bows and pick out the one that feels best to him overall.

I ran an archery shop several years ago and in a few cases I remember where we sold a bow just to be used for gift purposses. The customer then brought it back in to the shop in new condition and was either set-up or exchanged for a different one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts