Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the heart from a buck I harvested this morning. The deer was slightly quartered twords me, the bullet entered just in front of the facing shoulder and exited behind the away shoulder. The buck ran approx 30 yards before expiring. I am shooting a T/C Encore stoked with 100 grains measured of Blackhorn 209 and a Barnes 250TMZ. Distance was approx 60 yards. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1385603574.012066.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1385603602.130307.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1385603634.579300.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Congrats...........

·
Registered
848 Posts
Congrats, thats a monster, but may I ask what you mean by 100 gr measured, I do 100 gr too but I use that brass thing that I measured my pyrodex with. Thanks rasher.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, thats a monster, but may I ask what you mean by 100 gr measured, I do 100 gr too but I use that brass thing that I measured my pyrodex with. Thanks rasher.
Measured by volume not by weight. You can measure Blackhorn both by volume and by weight.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
looks like mine that i got monday night about 80yds away can't believe it ran about 80yds with most of heart gone . congrats

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Measured by volume not by weight. You can measure Blackhorn both by volume and by weight.
When you say volume are you referring to the sliding brass unit one would use for black powder, or something else, that is what I've been using, switched to 209 in the spring, can't wait to take it in the woods.

And by weight I'm assuming on a scale.

Whats the difference between the two-if you did it by volume how much would it weigh and vise versa.

·
Registered
853 Posts
When you say volume are you referring to the sliding brass unit one would use for black powder, or something else, that is what I've been using, switched to 209 in the spring, can't wait to take it in the woods.

Whats the difference between the two-if you did it by volume how much would it weigh and vise versa.

100 grains by volume will weigh 70 grains on a reloading scale.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts

There's a weight conversion number provided by Western....... .7 volume to weight ratio.

A MAXIMUM charge by weight would be 84grs.

100(V) * .7 = 70grs(W)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just so nobody gets confused, I not trying to be a jerk Encore, but in Encore's equation there should be a decimal point in front of that 7. It is in his original sentence. I looked at the equation and got confused for a second, again I not trying be a jerk, just don't want anyone doing what I did.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Just so nobody gets confused, I not trying to be a jerk Encore, but in Encore's equation there should be a decimal point in front of that 7. It is in his original sentence. I looked at the equation and got confused for a second, again I not trying be a jerk, just don't want anyone doing what I did.
Thanks for pointing it out. Left the decimal point out but its edited back in.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There's a weight conversion number provided by Western....... .7 volume to weight ratio.

A MAXIMUM charge by weight would be 84grs.

100(V) * .7 = 70grs(W)

Why would your max by weight be 84 grains. 150 grains by volume would be 105 grains by weight. I don't shoot anywhere near that though.

Just curious.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Why would your max by weight be 84 grains. 150 grains by volume would be 105 grains by weight. I don't shoot anywhere near that though.

Just curious.
Completely different powder, MAX CHARGE by Volume is 120 by weight 84 grains...

Even with T7 I think most people get confused with the 150 g MAX which is for pellets in which they (hodgdon) does not even list data for 3 pellets..

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts

Just curious.
Read this entire site.... http://www.blackhorn209.com/

"Typically, guns are rated for 150 grains of black powder or Pyrodex. Blackhorn 209 is more energetic......"

When using BH209, 120grs VOLUME IS A MAXIMUM CHARGE, regardless rather your rifle is capable of shooting 150grs of black powder, pyrodex or T7 or any other propellant.

There's a HUGE difference between shooting by weight vs volume and you MUST KNOW the conversion of volume to weight and do it properly to be safe.

120(V) * .7 = 84grs by weight......... MAXIMUM

·
Registered
853 Posts
Read this entire site.... http://www.blackhorn209.com/

"Typically, guns are rated for 150 grains of black powder or Pyrodex. Blackhorn 209 is more energetic......"

When using BH209, 120grs VOLUME IS A MAXIMUM CHARGE, regardless rather your rifle is capable of shooting 150grs of black powder, pyrodex or T7 or any other propellant.

There's a HUGE difference between shooting by weight vs volume and you MUST KNOW the conversion of volume to weight and do it properly to be safe.

120(V) * .7 = 84grs by weight......... MAXIMUM

Thanks for the link. I have been to that website and missed that. I didn't realize that the max volume load was 120 grains. Wonder how many others did the same.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have been to that website and missed that. I didn't realize that the max volume load was 120 grains. Wonder how many others did the same.
My hope is none. Pretty much most guys here that shoot it a lot, try and catch things if possible. Its always best to ask or question........ ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
My son filled his doe tag with his brothers CVA this morning. Barnes 250gr TEZ, 70gr weighed of BH209 dropped the deer in its tracks at 65yrds. Great way to start Thanksgiving day.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Nice looking buck with what looks like a big body. Where did you get him? What county is fine:lol: Wouldn't want you disclosing your hot spot :yikes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts