Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you think this horn is Broken or is it a Genetic Defect?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'd say it's broken. See the little sticker also coming out of the base? That is VERY similar to a buck I shot a while ago. I wasn't sure what to think when he came in, and I sat there for 10 minutes going back and forth on him. I decided to drop him, and once I got a good look at the rack it was pretty obvious that it had broken off at some point and the little sticker started growing afterwards. When I checked it in the DNR guy thought the same thing. Apparently, it's pretty common for them to keep growing something if the break occurs early enough in the growth cycle, and that something usually ends up being sticker points like that.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I think it's broken. Only way to find out for sure is to let him go and see what he does next year

I agree, and some have proven a whacky rack one year, does not mean a wacky rack the next.

It's like a bad haircut, remember the 80's

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drop - Maybe its time to cull the ole hair follicles!:lol:

I just did.. Shaved my head clean!! Havent had it like that since the Marine Corp but the hair line is receding and I am starting to see some gray hairs!!:yikes:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm going to say genetic...look at the "junk" growing at the base. It doesn't look like an injury to me...but then again, I'm just a telephone guy...:)!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I shot a deer almost identical to this last year and it was a defect. Before I shot him I thought it was broken off but after closer investigation it was obvious that it had grown like that. I voted defect from experience.:D

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,402 Posts
Neither! What I mean is that you left out an option, namely that the buck had a body injury of some sort (on the side opposite the funky antler I believe) that caused that antler to grow stunted.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
We gave a pass on a deer like that last year(of course everyone sees him everywhere) Only time will tell if is Genetics!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Neither! What I mean is that you left out an option, namely that the buck had a body injury of some sort (on the side opposite the funky antler I believe) that caused that antler to grow stunted.

Thoughts?
He also left out another option. It could be a damaged pedicle.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I am gonna go with the body injury theory......When a deer is injured on one side of his body the antler on the opposite side will show a defect alot of times the following growth cycle......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts