Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body ever hear of that. Noticed a lump on the inside of the dogs ear flap a couple week ago. it was slowly getting bigger so I took her to the vet on tues. Vet said it could be a broken blood vessel and we should drain it. after lancing it she said it could be from just a big bite but if it comes back she will have to surgery. ---yesterday the dogs ear hurt pretty bad (Couldnt even touch her ear with out her wimpering) this morning the pain was alot better but the swelling is back. Called the vet. Vet said she has to do surgery. give her some benidryl and drop her of tues morning for surgery.---- Vet said this is common and not to worry. But I have never heard of this before. (Has any one else ever had this problem with there pooch?) :sick:

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
The condition you cite may be a hematoma in the ear flap. :confused: Very common in floppy eared hunting dogs and often secondary to otitis.

Standard Rx is surgical. Good Luck with yr pooch.

NB

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 14 year old lab who has had several hematoma's. Can't remember how many surgeries she has had. They will cut the bulge open and then put in a few tack stitches to hold the skin down. They will leave the incision open to drain as the hematoma heals. More than likely you will be putting an "elizibethan" collar on the dog to help keep them from scratching the ear during healing.

Remnar

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,145 Posts
I have a 11 yr old dog with allergies that has had multiple ear surgeries. The most effective technique we've found is when holes are "punched" (think paper punch) so the drainage can flow readily.

The real trick is keeping it bandaged while it heals. If you need bandaging lessons let me know ...I've had LOTS of practice :sad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife works for a vet, and she told me that they can get these from shaking their head side to side. For ex. if he were to get water in his ear.
Good luck he should recover just fine, just give it some time to heal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you every one for the replies and info. You have helped put my mind at ease. The dog is in a lot of pain today so we are going back to the vet this afternoon to see if she can make her suffering a little easer until tuesday when she gets it fixed. Thanks again -- Don

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yep, my 14.5 year old chessy had both ears done. It was from flapping side to side. Darn gthings swell up like a whoopy cushion. Your pup will be fine. No worries.;)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have one now that got her ear injured as a pup and broke a blood vessel. Other then a curly ear - no big deal.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Anybody know if this condition is genetic?
About as genetic as breathing.

A hematoma is a bruise. Think of it as a blood blister that gets hard. As the blood is broken down, scar tissue remains, so there is always a hard spot...which in turn can cause more hematomas. When drained, it keeps the stretching of the ear to a minimum and because it's allowed to drain, the scar tissue will not form as thick.

If you let a hematoma go, it can get much more expensive to repair. A fresh one can be lacerated and the scar tissue will not yet be well adhered to the ear, however, when tissue adheres more securely, so it takes a lot more time and effort to remove the tissue. Think, removing a piece of grizzle from a steak, while attached to the cow, without hurting the healthy tissue of the cow much.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
My GSP had one for a period of years. It never seemed to bother her so I never asked the vet about it. Roughly a year ago, it largely disappeared, leaving a slightly elevated spot on her ear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the dog home yesterday morning. Vet had the dogs head wrapped up with the ear folded over the top of her head. looked funny with just her face sticking out of the bandeges. The dog just wanted to sleep so I went to back to work. Buy the time got home and she had figured out how to rub her head against side of the crate to remove said bandage. It was now around her neck. She is doing fine so far but I do think there has to be a better way to to repair this kind of injury. The idea of tubes or punched like FIJI and SNOWMAN suggested woud be a better option I.M.O. ----FIJI, I might have to take you up on those bandaging lessons. :lol:

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,145 Posts
It would be a lot easier to show you than try to explain it. But if youre serious I'll give it a try !

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There are two ways that this problems is approached.The first is to slice the inner portion of the ear and drain the fluid out and then stich the inner ear skin to the outer skin.
That method is costly and takes longer to heal.
The other method is a simple plastic insert that gets inserted into the bottom of the effected area that allows the fluid to drain out. The insert stays in the ear for a few weeks. Once the area has healed you pull the tube out. Simple and costs around 20 bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts