Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought me a 6' jigging stick for my 60th birthday. Yesterday while moving stuff around on the boat the rod got smushed (not by me unfortunately. Now he and I both feel bad about it) and when I went to set the hook while perch fishing the blank exploded about a foot above the handle.

Has anyone had any experience with sending a rod back to St. Croix? Is it worth the hassle or should I just cut the blank off above the cracks and make a shorter perch/jigging rod? Are there any rodbuilders here that can put a new handle on this broken blank?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Must have been a big perch!:lol: I have sent stuff back to them, but it takes time and postage and all that. I would make it a 5' jigging rod!:)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My son bought me a 6' jigging stick for my 60th birthday. Yesterday while moving stuff around on the boat the rod got smushed (not by me unfortunately. Now he and I both feel bad about it) and when I went to set the hook while perch fishing the blank exploded about a foot above the handle.

Has anyone had any experience with sending a rod back to St. Croix? Is it worth the hassle or should I just cut the blank off above the cracks and make a shorter perch/jigging rod? Are there any rodbuilders here that can put a new handle on this broken blank?
Sorry to hear about the rod Mike. Get ahold of Eyes and Zees (Matt) from the site if St.Croix will not replace it. Matt does some excellent work and I'm sure he would be able to shorten it for you. Al :chillin:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had mine break this past spring while reelin in a walleye on the maumee, contacted them a couple days later explained the issue and they told me to send it in with a copy of the email and I would not have to pay the return postage. Between sending it in and receiving my new rod it took 7 days, if you count the days that I waited it took 12 days. great service.:):)

·
Registered
140 Posts
My son got an ultra light rod at Christmas and the tip broke off back in July. I think, and you can check the website, there was a $20 or $25 shiiping fee. They had the rod back to him with in two weeks. The day before he headed off to college in Montana, was he glad.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Mike bummer about the St. Croix. I broke a brand new one (Premier) in the garage door a few years ago. It was a gift, that I had not even used. When I called St. Croix they wanted $30.00 or somthing like that to replace it. I didn't have a reciept because it was a gift three or four months earlier. So if you mail yours in I'll give you mine to send them as a set. Let me know. You can have it.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I can fix it Dude, my dads got an AWSOME set of tools......:lol::lol: Sorry to hear about your loss big Mike......

Mushy

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
St. Croix will replace it No questions asked.
Nope, just talked to them. I have to go through the whole process of returning the rod FEDX (properly packaged) with $20 and they will determine if they will give me a new one or charge for a repair.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I ended up using. I usually use my Ugly Stiks for trolling but since I was perch fishing with my son I figured I'd use the rod he bought for me. I have about 15 other rods that I could have brought but I thought I'd show him that I appreciate his gift.

I'll try to contact Matt and see if he can advise me on cutting the blank, partially drilling out the handle and epoxying the shaft into the blank that is in the handle. I fixed a Shakespeare rod like that once. I broke off about two feet of the tip so I used a hacksaw to cut the remaining portion down to where I could slide the tip section into it and epoxied it in place. It works well. In fact that is the rod I left home so I could use the St Croix.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Just send it back to St.Croix. I just smashed mine with a chair in my basement. I logged on to St.Croix, registered, printed a shipping label(right from their site) and shipped it back,,, 9 days later I had a brand new rod. I just went through this 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
As expensive as they are they better give you a new one for no cost!! If it was a Brekley or Fenwick product you would have a new rod in no time and no charge!!

Scott

1 - 20 of 36 Posts