Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(Is there a certian type of broadhead(and wieght) that is best for the use of a crossbow. I was grouping within a half inch at 20 yards with a fieldpoint, 90 grams. Put on a broadhead, 90 grams ( mechanical) and it was all over the place, 6 to 8 inches???

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Usually the manual specifies a certain length and type of arrow which is to be used with a certain weight broadhead. For instance my C5 requires 20 inch carbons with 125 gr heads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yup, what does your manual say? My crossbows recommend not using mechanical broadheads. If using mechanicals they recommend double banding them as they may open in flight with the crossbow. I shoot 100gr and 125gr 3 blade broadheads like Muzzy and Wasp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use the G 5 Montec,100 grain. Group and impact are the same as field points woth my Excalibur Phoenix and Matthews Solo Cam.Killed two deer so far. Neither ran more than 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Most times, going from a field point to anything with wings on it, will not fly the same just beacuse, they are not the same. I tuned my scope in with a broadhead, havent shot a field point through my crossbow as of yet. I am shooting 100 grain Thunderheads,, ,,,, don't laugh. :D I had them left over from years ago, might as well use them, they are paid for.

·
Registered
8,750 Posts
I use the G 5 Montec,100 grain. Group and impact are the same as field points... Killed two deer so far. Neither ran more than 50 yards.
I use the same broadhead with my TenPoint and love them. I've also taken two deer with them, one at 20yds. and one at just over 30yds., and double lunged both.
I agree with Paul Thompson in that I practice with and set up my bow for broadheads.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey you guys shooting them montecs are you having good blood trails with your deer:confused:? I also have been shooting montcs 100grn. {with my tenpoint titan} and i have also killed 2 deer but i have had bad luck with blood. I double lunged both deer and had minimal blood on both. The first ran 45yrds and my nine point ran 100yrds+. I like how straight and accurate they shoot but the blood trail has made me look eltswhere, now i bought some Hank Parker "Swackers" 125gr. Has anybody had any luck with these Swackers with xbows, they seem to shoot straight and have a decent size[2.25in]. THANKS

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used Slick Trick 100GR. Mags this year for the first Time and at 28 yrds, Double lunged a buck he went only 30 yards tops with lots of Blood.
They shoot same locations as my practice tips. So I had a lot of confidence in them.

Migabby

·
Registered
111 Posts
100 grain NAP NITRONS...

most accurate flying b-head ive ever shot
less than 6 inches at 80 yards

b-heads shoot different out of crossbows compared to regular bow
MY OPINION AND RESULTS USING MY BEST 3 TUNED ARROWS... dont flame me

100 grain slick trick magnums... shot like garbage at 30 yards, had about 6" grouping... arrows would fly consistant but not accurate to each other

Rage 2-blade... opened up everytime on me early.. didnt want to bother trying to hold them shut

G5 montec... fly terrible 8" grouping at 40 yards...

NAP Nitrons... fly perfect fly like field tips but slightly different POI easily adjusted for in 2-3 shots

100 grain 4 blade muzzys... again, fly terrible... 1 arrow will be dead nuts and the other 2 all over the target
again, these are my results... and the testing i have done this year

this was shooting at 385 FPS which truly tests the flight charateristics of the B-head IMO
some of these might fly better out of a slower x-bow... but again MY results

and i have since slowed my xbow down for hunting, have ditched all the old heads or i might consider re-testing, but i found my bhead i like

so test your setup and see what your xbow likes... others have shot b-heads i have shot and gotten better results... just not out of my setup

·
Registered
291 Posts
now i bought some Hank Parker "Swackers" 125gr. Has anybody had any luck with these Swackers with xbows, they seem to shoot straight and have a decent size[2.25in]. THANKS
As a matter of fact, I have.

At 15yds, out of my Crosman Teton, it blew right through. It hit a rib directly on entry, and blasted it. 2¼" blades deployed inside, and it hit another rib squarely on exit, shattered it, and cut half way accross the two on either side, breaking them. Exit wound was huge. I found the arrow burried in the dirt under tall grass and snow the next morning. Washed it off and it's good to go again.

I will use them again. But the next one will be taken with a Rage 3-blade, or a Meatseeker (I haven't decided yet).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts